the 2011 party is over..

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

the 2011 party is over..

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:01 pm

what a great way to end the season...great friends, great precision driving competition, and pretty nice weather in Oct that made it all complete...thanks for all the help from everyone pitching in...if I had my way I would do it all over again next saturday---but ok, I can wait six months or maychance a little more...special thanks for the quick posting of numbers by the Geekman, there by the time I got home....makes for fun dreams tonite....(and an aside to the Rose---take a look at the PAX and see if you have pleasant dreams tonite--lol)
Mel Kuipers

mtgeekman
Underlord

Re: the 2011 party is over..

Postby mtgeekman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm

I only sent them to Alex, he got them posted fast :) thanks Alex

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:21 am

I forgot a big mention of Thanks to the Missoula Club #38 for the use of their trailer and equiptment...that certainly made the event much easier...Alex, if you do get stuck for a trailer to get your car home, let me know...mine is available to you if you need it...
Mel Kuipers

02BMW
noob

Postby 02BMW » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:26 am

I also want to say a BIG thanks to Mel, DaveK, Joe, Russ and whoever else was in on the work of setting up the course Fri in the rain and for running a great last event.
Thanks also to Mel for helping me get my car home on his trailer.
Dave
Dave V

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his right foot:
03 330xi, 95 M3, 90 325is, 88 325is, 74 2002XP, 48 chev dump truck

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:40 am

It was a fitting end to a great season wasn't it? I think our club hosted 11 days of racing this year and this was the first one that was wet and even then only in the morning......we had some good luck there.

A big thank you to all that came out yesterday despite the morning weather and a special thanks to folks from the other clubs that came and played with us - as usual it was great to have you.

I think the course worked out well and in retrospect there was only one turn I would change. I think the length worked out well and we had just enough folks to properly cover the course work. It was pretty darn quick (I was hitting 75ish/3rd gear entering the double box feature) with no big slow downs or kinks. A sincere thanks to Mel, Russ and Joe for coming out in the cold and consistent rain Friday evening to set up the course with me. Being rewarded for the hard work by being locked in the place after getting the course all set up and waiting in the rain for the security guy to come and let us out was something that I think we could have lived without but no one complained a bit - well maybe I whined a little. So - thank you all.

I really enjoyed the racing this season and the process of getting my car set up better sorted. I love that puzzle. We had some good close racing this year with drivers pushing their limits and increasing their skills throughout the year. It was also cool how close the PAX battle came out each week - I think that's a good indicator of how much folks have stepped it up and improved their cars and skills.

And now the all too long offseason starts. We'll have a few meetings and a party or two during this time to commemorate last year and look forward to next year and I hope all that can will attend the as yet to be scheduled end of the year shindig.

And - at the risk of being really sappy - thank you all for being so cool. It's a joy to hang out with you all and share this odd passion.

See you soon.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 am

I just want to say Thanks to everyone from the Bozeman club, for a very educational season. I thourly enjoyed my first year of auto cross racing with all of you. I learned a lot, and I think my online sim racing helped me pick up the real aspect and feel of actual racing much more quickly. I'm looking forward to doing a lot more next year...... If I can wait that long....

Now to get working on my cars for next season.... got to keep one step ahead of the Rose man and Mel..... as I know they will have something in store for me... :)

Ron
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Thank you to everyone for making everything happen so smoothly yesterday. It was a perfect way to end the season. There was a great vibe and energy among the group and I loved watching Don and Zach's enthusiasm all day.

It was great getting to meet you all and getting to know everyone. I think we have a great group of people in our club and it was a great learning experience for me. My biggest and final lesson for the season was that I still have a lot to learn. When you let someone else co-drive your car and they drive it almost 2 seconds faster than you, that really says something there. Way to go Alex! I hope you still were able to have some fun despite the car issues. Hope it all gets worked out!

I'm really looking forward to next season and seeing all of you again, sooner than later.
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:48 pm

findurpath wrote:Thank you to everyone for making everything happen so smoothly yesterday. It was a perfect way to end the season. There was a great vibe and energy among the group and I loved watching Don and Zach's enthusiasm all day.

It was great getting to meet you all and getting to know everyone. I think we have a great group of people in our club and it was a great learning experience for me. My biggest and final lesson for the season was that I still have a lot to learn. When you let someone else co-drive your car and they drive it almost 2 seconds faster than you, that really says something there. Way to go Alex! I hope you still were able to have some fun despite the car issues. Hope it all gets worked out!

I'm really looking forward to next season and seeing all of you again, sooner than later.

James, I want to thank you one more time for the opportunity. It was fun to drive another car, and was a nice end to a good season (even if it leaves me with one MORE thing to do / fix over the winter).

Mel Kuipers wrote:Alex, if you do get stuck for a trailer to get your car home, let me know...mine is available to you if you need it...

Thanks for the offer, but I got it back today. Took my landlords trailer and my girlfriend's '84 F150. Not the fastest tow rig, but it got the job done. And we only broke down once.
Last edited by Alex on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 am

Sounds like it was a fun event. Too bad I had to miss it, but stuff happens some times. It's been a fun season even if I haven't made it to all the events I'd like to. We have some great new members. It's not every year that we get this many new people who are as willing and able to step up to help out with the club, from running the timing at events to volunteering to Chair events, it's been appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the fun. Hope to see as many members as possible at our meetings and our annual party during the off season. Check back on the forum for dates for that stuff.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

That was a super fun event. It felt really good to slide the car around once more, and the wet pavement in the morning was really conducive to extra sliding. The course was really good, everyone drove really well, and the competition was fierce, but fun.
Like others have stated, I think we had a great season, and it all comes down to the level of participation of the group. Everyone pitched in and that helps make it fun and relaxed for everyone. It was so great to see new members come out, and keep coming to events, and to watch them improve. I truly think that we have a group of really skilled drivers in our little region. Looking at the times and seeing everything from Lotus's (Lotii?) to Subaru's to Mazdaspeed 3's turning pretty close times is really cool.
A BIG thanks to everyone for pitching in and making it a great season!
THANKS
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:37 pm

So I went to pull my alternator today, and discovered that all three wires in the three-wire plug for the voltage regulator were sheared off at the plug... Damn 20 year old wiring. I had plans to pull the engine harness this winter and re-build some of it anyway, and fixing that connector will be way easier with the harness out of the car, so the winter projects begin now!
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

T WRX
noob

Postby T WRX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks to all for a great season. I've made it to more events this year than I have in years, and it has really been a great time. I regret that I could not be at our final event for the season, though that may be for the best as I seem to be about out of tires. I'm pleased to report that the purpose of our trip to Seattle that week was a great success. A close family member received a kidney transplant, and both he and the kidney donor are doing very well. Science and technology can accomplish amazing things (and make our cars go fast too)!

I'm really pleased with how our club is growing. It's happening fast enough to bring in many new participants, but slowly enough to stay manageable. We're getting quite a diversity of cars and some good drivers to go with them. I'm glad to be able to play this game with all of you, and look forward to next season! Should plans be made for an end-of-season gathering, might I suggest a mass email announcement? I'd love to attend. Thanks, everybody! :)

Michael
Michael Holland
2004 Subaru WRX STi (JKLMNOP)

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 am

T WRX wrote:Thanks to all for a great season. I've made it to more events this year than I have in years, and it has really been a great time. I regret that I could not be at our final event for the season, though that may be for the best as I seem to be about out of tires. I'm pleased to report that the purpose of our trip to Seattle that week was a great success. A close family member received a kidney transplant, and both he and the kidney donor are doing very well. Science and technology can accomplish amazing things (and make our cars go fast too)!

I'm really pleased with how our club is growing. It's happening fast enough to bring in many new participants, but slowly enough to stay manageable. We're getting quite a diversity of cars and some good drivers to go with them. I'm glad to be able to play this game with all of you, and look forward to next season! Should plans be made for an end-of-season gathering, might I suggest a mass email announcement? I'd love to attend. Thanks, everybody! :)

Michael

Glad to hear all went well in Seattle. We'll look into the mass email idea. We've talked about sending major announcements by email before, and it's not a bad idea. I know we must have some emails in our system from the forum users, but if people put down email addresses on our registration sheets we may have some more from those. As long as we keep the numbers of emails down I hope nobody will mind.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 am

kjohnson wrote:Glad to hear all went well in Seattle. We'll look into the mass email idea. We've talked about sending major announcements by email before, and it's not a bad idea. I know we must have some emails in our system from the forum users, but if people put down email addresses on our registration sheets we may have some more from those. As long as we keep the numbers of emails down I hope nobody will mind.

I like the idea.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:37 am

I like the mass email idea a lot...it expands our communications by another channel from the forum...and that could be important on a time sensitive communication--like a weather, skid steer cancellation...and members could opt out if their email memory is not sufficient...somewhere above this post Dave mentioned the year end party...I really don't care if it is this fall or next Jan...I do appreciate his reasoning about keeping the good vibrations for a while now, but I also like Jan which is kind of a dead social month...that being said, Judi and I will be in warmer climes a lot the next six months, so my opinion does not carry a lot of weight as we might not make it either time...rest assured we will make it if we are in town no matter when it is...as for the year end awards, it would be helpful to know who qualifies for some of them---I know Rookie of the Year is a voted award and we have quite a few rookies this year including Nick and Mary Jones, Ron Roncetto, James Jong...that probably is not a complete list...lets start talking about this event...even if it does not happen til Jan it will be fun to talk about it...
Mel Kuipers

Return to “Solo 2011”