Interesting Math

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2008 season.
DaveMk1
Lord

Interesting Math

Postby DaveMk1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:26 am

So it's cold in the shop this AM so I'm wasting time with Google Earth.

I wanted to get a feel for how long the Top Gun Course was on Sunday. Bring up the facility on G.E. and you can see it plain as day and you can drag a line and see how long that line it.

So I dragged a line as near as I could guess where Sunday's course went. I did not try to follow the course exactly over the road course on the way out to the sweeper but just took a straight line out from the big pad to the sweeper. The course itself pretty much did that and the real deal would if anything be a bit longer than what I got.

I then plotted it out on the road course back to the pad on the path that we followed and made the "S" turns for both the start and finish as close as I could. I know I don't have it exactly right but I'll bet it's pretty close.

I got a distance of 1.10 miles. My time on Sunday was 1:16. Doing the math shows that I averaged 52.4 mph. Take the FTD car's time of 1:11 and you get an average speed of 55.9 mph.

Me thinks that's pretty quick.

Fun with numbers.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

WD40
Lord

Postby WD40 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 am

Hmmmm....you're good!
I came up with 5714.4872' in AutoCAD...
1.082 miles, give or take.
WD40 Reverend GripShift
'04 SVT Focus 3-Door
My SuperMotors Site

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:03 pm

I was not nearly as mathematical, but figured a mile and a 1:34 of my time and came up with ave 42 mph...starting from a dead stop and not being close to that before the first slaloom makes me think I was on the edge around the sweeper and following curves...it makes me more afraid than I was when I was driving....
Mel Kuipers

rdks
NT Champion

Postby rdks » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:28 pm

just for fun.. I went to Packwood this year and used the trip meter for the course... the course was roughly .8-.9 miles long and there were cars doing it in 47-54 secs.

In the RX-8, i did it in 58 secs where as there were some in class doing 56 secs... now how is that for math?

Return to “Autocross 2008”