E-Stock Miata setup

Check here for help registering, etc
themobtheory
noob

E-Stock Miata setup

Postby themobtheory » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Looked into some of the basics, but I'm curious who some of the miata Gurus are around these parts. Any experience on which front sway bar is better than others, what suspension components you like and why, monotube seems to be the way to go with a front sway bar and some new tires wont hurt. Planning pom getting as much negative camber out of the front and rear as the stock suspension will allow, and about 1/8 inch tow out in front with maybe 1/16" toe in for the rear, if any. Anyone have good luck with similar settings?

RayAR
Lord

Re: E-Stock Miata setup

Postby RayAR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm

I just saw this post. would probabaly be better in solo or off topic.

I have done a bit of research on what route to take my Miata but am planning on going into STS, maybe later into SM or XP so not sure how much info I can add for an ES build. As far as front sway bar the largest from Racing beat is recomended for all autocrossing. Flying Miata has specs for alignment. Not many options for shocks. If I was a great driver building a nationally competitive ES Miata I would get the Bilstein Revalves from Fat Cat motorsports. If your like me, just looking to be competitive on a local basis the R package Bilsteins, Bilstein HD or Koni Sports would probably be all you need. With the research I have done I think the Bilsteins are a bit better then the Konis but with my limited driving ability I doubt it would matter. As far as tires, Hoosier A6's are legal in Stock. I guess it just depends on how competitive your driving is and how far you want to prep your car.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

graindart
noob

Postby graindart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I haven't messed with swaybars on my 1999 Miata yet. Wiseriver runs the blue NB Miata and says they love large FRONT swaybars.

Your alignment goals are similar to mine. I had mine aligned a month or two ago. Ended up with about:

-1.4 degrees camber on each of the fronts with 5.2 degrees caster
0.2 degrees toeout in front
0.1 degrees toein in back
-2.3 degrees camber on each of the backs

Most people suggest similar negative camber for the front and back. I just wanted as much negative as the stock suspension would allow in front and back. I'm on stock suspension and the front negative camber is very limited on what you can get. Negative 1.4 degrees was it for each of the front tires and it's just not enough. I have my front tire pressures set pretty high (55psi) trying to keep them from rolling over. I've got some coilovers on order which will lower the car and introduce more negative camber which should allow me to run less pressure in the front tires and still keep them from rolling. Of course everyone's Miata is different (differences in years, model generations, tires, wheels, suspension, etc).

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 pm

One more word. Bumpstops!!!!!!! I have heard that they are a very important part of a fast stock classed Miata.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 pm

graindart wrote:I haven't messed with swaybars on my 1999 Miata yet. Wiseriver runs the blue NB Miata and says they love large FRONT swaybars.

Your alignment goals are similar to mine. I had mine aligned a month or two ago. Ended up with about:

-1.4 degrees camber on each of the fronts with 5.2 degrees caster
0.2 degrees toeout in front
0.1 degrees toein in back
-2.3 degrees camber on each of the backs

Most people suggest similar negative camber for the front and back. I just wanted as much negative as the stock suspension would allow in front and back. I'm on stock suspension and the front negative camber is very limited on what you can get. Negative 1.4 degrees was it for each of the front tires and it's just not enough. I have my front tire pressures set pretty high (55psi) trying to keep them from rolling over. I've got some coilovers on order which will lower the car and introduce more negative camber which should allow me to run less pressure in the front tires and still keep them from rolling. Of course everyone's Miata is different (differences in years, model generations, tires, wheels, suspension, etc).

I'll bet a stiffer front bar would help a lot. Typically stiffer bars are thought to reduce traction by shifting more weight onto the outside tire........and they can of course do this. But a stiffer bar can also greatly aide in traction if the reason for the traction loss is excessive body roll and subsequent camber loss. In other words when the car rolls a lot it rolls the tires over onto those outside edges and even high air pressures won't make up for it. So by using a stiffer bar you get less roll, less camber loss and more traction.

You may have to drive it a bit differently to optimize the use of the front bar but I'll bet you'd drop some serious time with a stiffer bar.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 am

[quote="DaveMk1You may have to drive it a bit differently to optimize the use of the front bar but I'll bet you'd drop some serious time with a stiffer bar.

Dave[/quote]

Definately... :)

Also, from what I've been seeing.... and from personal experience, you want more camber in the front than the rear. Max out your front negative camber, and then set the rear to slightly less. Zero Toe in both front and rear.... or as close as you can get. Maximun front caster also. Stiff front suspension, and soft rear. Depending on your class, you may want to try running without a rear bar. Stock class only lets you change or modify one of your sway bars.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Grainedart.
How do you like the VMaxx trackpac? its one of the options I am considering for mine but just so few reviews on them so far. To bad I can't afford Xidas.

nathan@406racing
noob

Postby nathan@406racing » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 am

This is graindart. (changed to nathan@406racing)

Wiseriver runs Xidas. I was very close to buying a set, but when it came time to order I just couldn't stomach spending that type of money. Hopefully I won't regret it. I just got the Vmaxx XXtreme track pack coilovers installed and drove the car for the first time yesterday (504 lb/in front, 336 lb/in back). I'm in the middle of trying to get my Megasquirt ECU to behave nicely, so didn't get to see how the coilovers reacted to hard cornering. I've got them adjusted soft right now and the ride didn't feel harsh or jarring at all. Our 1st race of the season (Region 105 Great Falls) is in 10 days so I'll hopefully have a better assessment of the coilovers after that.

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

I am sure it rides better them car with blown rear shocks so Keep me updated. My car is going to be more of a daily driver but hopefully a few autocrosses a year. definatly going through withdrawals. I actually might be better off with the FM spring, Illumina shock setup that is so highly regarded on internet forums, but another $200 bucks might be worth it for the stiffer springs........ As long as the ride isen't to bad. I also just don't have the budget for the mid-upper end coilovers(Xidas or better).

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:06 pm

RayAR wrote:I am sure it rides better them car with blown rear shocks so Keep me updated. My car is going to be more of a daily driver but hopefully a few autocrosses a year. definatly going through withdrawals. I actually might be better off with the FM spring, Illumina shock setup that is so highly regarded on internet forums, but another $200 bucks might be worth it for the stiffer springs........ As long as the ride isen't to bad. I also just don't have the budget for the mid-upper end coilovers(Xidas or better).

Personally, I would rather spend that extra 200 on a set of Koni's, rather than on stiffer springs. I had the Illuminas on my MR2 for a while, and was never that impressed. The Konis are a massively better shock in my opinion, and they aren't THAT much more money. Especially right now when they are on sale (as they are almost every spring).
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Alex. I was thinking either koni's or Bilsteins but Miata owners say they both ride horrible with stock springs, The Illuminas ride better. This car is my daily driver so even though I don't mind a firm ride the way it rides has some importance to me.
Even though not adjustable I personally think the bilsteins are a better option then the Koni's, at least on a Miata but even combining the bilsteins with some Ebay sleeves and proper spring rates and then adding new(good) bumpstops and bigger front sway bar and now I am over the budget I set for myself by a pretty good amount. The VMaxx setup from Flying Miata seems to be the deal of the century, even though they are one of the cheap overseas coilovers, the valving is said to be decent and has quiet a few good reviews, What scares me is they had a bad reputation before FM changed the spring rates and added better bump stops. I will wait and see how Nathen likes them. Probably looking at early July before I order.

nathan@406racing
noob

Postby nathan@406racing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Just a quick update on the FM VMaxx setup. Region 105's first race was cancelled due to snow (Great Falls), so I don't have any experience how they perform at autox. I did get the car up and running and have put a couple hundred miles on it over the past week or so. Running an even mix of city / highway I've been surprised at how comfortable they feel. I was expecting a much harsher ride due to the much stiffer motor mounts, solid differential mounts, track springs (504 lb/in front & 336 lb/in rear), aluminum race seats, and lower ride height. I wouldn't describe it as a "plush" ride, but not much worse than it was last year when it was riding on the worn out original suspension (130k miles). I'll update again after this weekend as I'm planning on the trek to Bozeman for the May 5th event as long as the car doesn't break between now and then.

Return to “Help, suggestions, etc.”