Temporary membership for non member autocrossers

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2006 season.
RayAR
Lord

Temporary membership for non member autocrossers

Postby RayAR » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:23 pm

I recieved this from the CP mailing list Saturday afternoon and havent had time to post here about it. It was supposed to have been voted on Saturday but has thankfully has been tabled until the national convention.

There is a scheduled vote today at the SCCA Board of Directors at noon central
time that will affect solo events. The proposal that the board will be voting
on is that all non-SCCA members attending a solo event would have to pay a fee
of $15 to be a member for a day of SCCA. This fee would be over and above the
normal registration fee for the event. The $15 would have to be paid
separately to the local region and then sent to SCCA at the end of the event.
The person would then have a temporary membership to SCCA for 45 days. If
that person came back to another local event 46 days later, they would have to
pay another $15 to run. My understanding is the money goes directly to SCCA
and does not come back to the local regions.

If you have an opinion on this, please contact the Are 4 director, Larry Dent
by noon central time today, Saturday, 12-9.
Larry has his personal computer with him and that address is
lwdent@localnet.com
Even though I am not totally aganst this proposal I feel that a portion of that $15 should go to the local regions. This just puts added work on registration. Even though I feel that you should be a member I am sure that the extra $15.00 that newcomers will be forced to pay could drive them away. The only good thing I see out of this is that it will make it much easier to sell newcomers on a regular membership.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:41 pm

After a little search I found the whole story. Sounds better but still not sure if I am for it.

Man, talk about the power of the internet. Linda’s note generated comments from all over the country and the result was a table for the proposal. Here is the complete story.

This proposal was by staff and was NOT given to the BoD in advance. It may well have been tabled just on this fact alone as the BoD was not too happy about getting it without any advance member input. Just to make sure I had Linda e mail my friends in the solo community, but she did not understand the complete program, so here it is.

The proposal is to require a temporary membership to enter any solo or rally event for non members. The temporary membership would cost UP TO $15.00 max., $5.00 min.

The region would collect this fee and keep $10.00 and forward $5.00 to Topeka. The $5.00 would be a flow through amount and earmarked for membership development. The staff invisioned a letter to the temporary member with a brochure, perhaps a copy of SportsCar, but all spent on membership building.

As proposed the temporary membership would be for that event only, but for 45 days the $15.00 could applied to a full years membership, and that at a discounted price, less than the normal full membership.

The temporary membership would be for that event only, so if that person came back next weekend he/she would again be accessed a $15.00 temporary membership.

BUT, regions would not be REQUIRED to make the full charge. If a region was already charging $5.00 for non members they could charge only $5.00 extra and send that to Topeka, keeping the normal $5.00 they usually charge.

Or, they could go with the full $15.00 and keep $10.00 and send the $5.00 in. There would be NO temporary membership cards purchased in advance as in other programs. The club office would make available a standardized entry form with a tear off for the Temp information and the $5.00, to be used by the region if desired.

It would be a flex program at the regional level and each region could play it as they wish.

One real benefit is that the temporary member would have full insurance coverage of $1,000,000 excess medical coverage just as a regular member. You all do know that regular members have this, RIGHT???

Kick it around folks, it will come up again at convention.

Larry Dent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:28 am

I agree, Ray. The premise is interesting, but I don't like it. We already charge non-members more, as we rightly should, this temp. membership thing just adds complexity to the registration process, which we don't need.

I think the SCCA needs to make a tough decision, either continue to not require membership to participate, or require it.

Thinking about this further, a program like this might actually decrease new memberships instead of increase it like they want. If a person is only going to do a few autocrosses a year, why would they pay the membership fee, when they could just pay a little extra at the event and have the benefits of membership?
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:46 am

I am going to E-mail Larry Dent and tell him that I am opposed to this proposal. If others in this region are opposed then they should do the same thing. If you are for this proposal also E-mail Larry and tell him.

MikeJ
Overlord

Postby MikeJ » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am

STOP HALT ALTO Arrêt ANSCHLAG!
I called National this am to clarify.
They are nowhere close to having a final proposal for the BoD.
They are in the process of "kicking around" some ideas for non-members.
This issue was misunderstood and released by well meaning person(s) without having a full picture/plan/perspective of all of the issues.

If a policy of such is adopted it will be more than equitible for the region and any funds sent to National will be used for regional membership development. Our ROI on this would be vast.

RayAR wrote:I am going to E-mail Larry Dent and tell him that I am opposed to this proposal. If others in this region are opposed then they should do the same thing. If you are for this proposal also E-mail Larry and tell him.

As politely as I can, That's what I was elected for.

If the membership has an issue to be brought to National attention let me know. Thats what I do.

Please respect the chain of command.

National is flooded with all sorts of issues from this to someones favorite track not being used in 07.
Ex-RE

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:33 pm

mikej wrote:If the membership has an issue to be brought to National attention let me know. Thats what I do.

Please respect the chain of command.

National is flooded with all sorts of issues from this to someones favorite track not being used in 07.

With all due respect you can't even put this in the same catagory as someones favorite track not being used in 2007. This was a proposal that was brought to the BoD and tabled because of various reasons including NO ADVANCE MEMBER INPUT. Considering I am a MEMBER I have every right to voice my opinion about a proposal that will come back up at the national convention. You said that they are no where close to haveing a final proposal, I think someone is telling you that to make you feel better because the fact is staff did bring this proposal to be voted on by the BoD.

Quote by Larry Dent "This proposal was by staff and was NOT given to the BoD in advance. It may well have been tabled just on this fact alone as the BoD was not too happy about getting it without any advance member input."

That sounds pretty close to me. Mike, I am not trying to step on your toes here but I know this proposal will come up again and they will need member input. I don't feel like I am in the wrong by E-mailing someone with my opinions and feel other members should do the same. I just don't believe that you as RE can speak for the 80+ members in this region on this issue.

Dogeater
Underlord

Postby Dogeater » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:20 pm

I just don't believe that you as RE can speak for the 80+ members in this region on this issue.

I think he can, he's the president of this region... it's his job. That's why we elect officals...so we don't have to call and email everyone in the world. I like the fact I can call Mike and ask WTF?? So I'll take his word over something read on the internet. After acutally being at nationals and meeting (in person) some of our national officals, they didn't strike me as people who would blow smoke up a RE's a$$. And Ray, your a member....so how does this proposal affect you? After reading your quote of Larry (if this is the actual proposal), I think it's a good idea. We are talking only $5.00 more than we already charge non-members. And those who only autocross a few times a year it's only $20.00 more if you autox say 4 times. If this breaks you then maybe a person should think twice before autoxing and possibly breaking their car which...now this is only a guess...will cost more than 20 bucks. Besides, we as a region can adjust this price. I think it would be great if National would send a letter to the temp member, cause most of these guys probably forget all about signing up for membership monday morning. A letter and possible Magazine could give them the extra push they need. Plus as the "propsal" said, the temp member would receive the full insurance package. What ever that is? :wink: Didn't sound like this was going to be ruled on next week. I'm guessing we will have ample time to discuss this at our next monthly (at Johnny Carinos, second tuesday of the month 7:00pm) meeting.

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Dogeater wrote:so we don't have to call and email everyone in the world.

I only e-mailed one person.

Dogeater wrote:And Ray, your a member....so how does this proposal affect you?

Believe it or not, I have worked registration at an event before. What is being proposed will make more work and add complexity to the registration process and also more paperwork for our treasurer.

Dogeater wrote:After reading your quote of Larry (if this is the actual proposal)

This is the proposal that was given to the BoD to vote on. I am sure that it will change before the national convention.

Dogeater wrote:I think it's a good idea. We are talking only $5.00 more than we already charge non-members. And those who only autocross a few times a year it's only $20.00 more if you autox say 4 times. If this breaks you then aybe a person should think twice before autoxing and possibly breaking their car which...now this is only a guess...will cost more than 20 bucks. Besides, we as a region can adjust this price.

After some thought the price dosen't concern me. I think we should charge non-members more. That would give them more incentive to become members if they want to do more then a couple events per year. That could also backfire and maybe have many first timers be one timers.

Dogeater wrote:I think it would be great if National would send a letter to the temp member, cause most of these guys probably forget all about signing up for membership monday morning. A letter and possible Magazine could give them the extra push they need.

And also force more work on the regions.

Dogeater wrote: I'm guessing we will have ample time to discuss this at our next monthly (at Johnny Carinos, second tuesday of the month 7:00pm) meeting.

If I didn't work nights I would be at our meetings.

fastneons
Overlord

Postby fastneons » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:50 am

I find all of this very comical :lol: But, I like comedies, so I'll throw this out. I have to agree with Mike and Coby.
2002 Porsche 911....almost as fast as an srt4

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:37 pm

Glad I could be of some entertainment value.

I do want to apoligize to Mike because of saying that I felt that he couldn't speak for all 80+ members on this issue. I was out of line on that comment but still feel that I was not wrong in E-mailing an area director that was asking for member input on a proposal. Not all situations will be the same as this one and the RE should handle issues like this. If the region wants to vote to support this proposal I am fine with that but I am opposed to it for the simple fact that it will create more work and paperwork with very little or even no benefit for the region. If we charge $5.00 on top of what we allready charge non members then we benefit nothing because that $5.00 goes to the SCCA for membership development. Personally I feel we should charge the full $15.00 and see how many temporary memberships we sell. Lets give the non members real incentive to become full fledged members.

MikeJ
Overlord

Postby MikeJ » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 pm

RayAR wrote: I do want to apologize to Mike because of saying that I felt that he couldn't speak for all 80+ members on this issue.

Accepted. I’m thrilled to see your enthusiasm.
I was out of line on that comment but still feel that I was not wrong in E-mailing an area director that was asking for member input on a proposal.

Our Area Director is Howard "Duck" Allen.
Not all situations will be the same as this one and the RE should handle issues like this.

Never will be in any case. But all I can do is get a feel from the membership in forums like this and our meetings. Then pass along our findings to NorPac
If the region wants to vote to support this proposal I am fine with that but I am opposed to it for the simple fact that it will create more work and paperwork with very little or even no benefit for the region.

Actually very little paperwork would be required. We can use the existing registration form. The only additional work will be for the treasurer.
If we charge $5.00 on top of what we already charge non-members then we benefit nothing because that $5.00 goes to the SCCA for membership development.

Not true at all. The SCCA can focus on marketing directly to that driver and they can focus attention on enticing them to join.
Lets give the non-members real incentive to become full-fledged members.

We certainly will. Historically we haven’t charged enough to non-members e.g. it was cheaper to be a non-member than to join if they went to every event. The formula I discussed with National is: Dues X 2 / events. For us that’s $14.44. I have no problem with the SCCA taking $5/non-member and sending them a welcome package (DVD & magazine) If they don't join they weren't going to join anyway; if they do join we get it back in annual dues.

But again, this issue has not been formalized into a proposal and is not yet ready for ratification. If and when it does we will address it with the membership. If the vote doesn’t come down to the membership and only to the Divisions I will let Duck Allen know how we (collectively) feel about it, as I’m our member of the NorPac BoD. Isn’t democracy wonderful? :lol:
Ex-RE

Return to “Autocross 2006”