It's an ACR

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2004 season.
MikeJ
Overlord

It's an ACR

Postby MikeJ » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:11 pm

I didn't know we were expecting... But when I got home from the meeting last night I saw a 1999 Neon ACR on eBay and a few short clicks later TADA, it's mine. I've already commissioned Nick to prepare a shopping list of goodies he will need for the engine rebuild :twisted: We prolly won't see it till later on in the '05 season, so the R/T will have to do. Knowing Nick it will be barely legal (or not at all in some states) and with solid motor mounts and extra high rate springs it wont be a grocery getter by any means. Nick's only question was 10.5 or 12.5:1, looks like were gonna have to get on the route for AVGas.

Cheers,
Mike

Sorry for the dup, but the original ended up in the classifieds
Ex-RE

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:23 pm

Hey Mike, I saw this in the classified section and was going to give you a hard time about it. :wink: You moved it before I could respond. Go 12.5:1 and lots of cam. Nicks engine always sounded awsome and ran just as good.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

Kevin NB8C'
Underlord

Postby Kevin NB8C' » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:26 am

RayAR wrote: Go 12.5:1 and lots of cam.

I second this motion.

fastneons
Overlord

Postby fastneons » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:15 pm

Mike, I think we will go 12.5:1 and the stand-alone we talked about. I will be ordering one for my car, so we can learn how it works. Rumor has it, with the sa we will be able to run pump gas.
2002 Porsche 911....almost as fast as an srt4

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:25 pm

Nick, which ECU are going to use? I would be really interested in how you decided on one.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

fastneons
Overlord

Postby fastneons » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:30 am

I am going to use the megasquirt fuel and spark. It seems to be the best one, and it is also the cheapest, for the neon application. I say best, because I will be able to completely get rid of my factory ecu. Also, there is code floating around, that I know have, that allows the megasquirt to read my factory crank sensor. Then I don't have to screw around with an external crank wheel.

There are only two parts that could be difficult, making the complete harness, and the fact that there is no base tuning code to start with. I don't see the harness being all that hard, becuase I have a couple of extra neon harness in my garage that I can use as a guide. As far as the base code, I can use one of my factory neons, and the chrysler drb III to get aproximate base settings. Then I will have to dyno tune.

Have you decided to fuel inject the porsche? This system will work on anything with a motor, and can control as much or as little as you would like it to.

http://www.rs-autosport.com/ is one of the sellers
www.msefi.com or is the web board,
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html is the site that answers most questions

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:19 pm

Have you decided to fuel inject the porsche?

Not soon, but it is something I am very interested in doing. The thing that makes it a bit tougher on the Porsche is I need throttle bodies with injector bosses, and manifolds and stuff.

I guess I didn't realize that there were people selling assembled Mega squirts, you just can't beat that price.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

fastneons
Overlord

Postby fastneons » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:29 pm

I ordered it today, so I will soon learn how hard it will be to install. So long to the mpp ecu, apex s-afcII, and msd ignition dis-2. If anyone is interested contact me.

Joe, couldn't you modify your current manifold, by adding injector bosses. Or have a sheet metal fabricator make a manifold with the bosses. Then add a single throttle body (I have a couple that would probably adapt to anything with some work) and do multi-point. Then again, I'm not even sure if your porsche even has an intake manifold, it might just have 4 carbs.

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:44 pm

I probably could add injector bosses to the existing manifolds, but because they are specially made for the Weber carbs it might not be worth it because it would be easier to sell the Webers with the manifolds. Also the manifold set up doesn't look like it would work well for injectors.
Mostly though, I am being pretty picky about how I would put together an EFI set-up. The stock set-up is a three throte carb for each cylinder bank, so I would want to retain that look. Which means six throttle bodies. I also really would want direct fire coils, either 6, or 3 with wasted spark. I may work on getting a direct ignition to work with the carbs.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Return to “Autocross 2004”