Club communication.

SWMT SCCA Auto-Cross discussion
DaveMk1
Lord

Club communication.

Postby DaveMk1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 am

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Most of you will be too young to remember that line out of the old movie Cool Hand Luke but it's a great movie.

In any case I think our club has a problem with the method of communication we use and I wonder what could be done about it? For many years the club forum on the website was the best and only way for us to gossip or spread a message but over time it's become obvious that fewer people are using the forum. It feels like many have moved to being on Facebook most of the time and don't check the forum. This means that some of our members are on the club forum, some are on facebook and a few are on both. This of course is not very effective. It means that there is always someone who might want info that isn't getting it.

The question in my mind is what is to be done about this? It feels to me like we need to pick a direction and commit to it and do everything we can to get all club members to visit the one place to share and get info. The problem seems to me to be that despite the popularity of facebook that it is not very well suited to ongoing communication over the long term. A forum on our website is dead simple to use and a given topic stays visible and obvious to the visitor...but on facebook one topic gets replaced by the next and then the user needs to scroll through history to find a given topic and people just don't seem to use FB that way. So as currently configured our facebook presence is really only good for making announcements and not for having ongoing conversations on a variety of topics. There is also the issue that there are a good number of our club members that are not on facebook.

On the other hand people have moved away from using the club forum despite the fact that it's a very effective method of communication. It's of course tempting try to force people to use the forum but one can't really do this. If people don't want to use it they just won't and we need to follow the people.

So....what to do? I wonder if there isn't a more effective way to set up our presence on facebook so that it's a more intuitive and effective way to spread info? I'm far from the expert here but is there a way to set up a facebook page that is similar to our forum? Meaning that we could have a number of topics going at the same time and the viewer would be able to see them all without having to scroll?

Or should we consider a totally different direction like an email list or something else entirely?

I feel like I've thrown out a bunch of issues here and no answers and I guess that is the problem - I don't have answers and I'm hoping that someone out there might have some.

Thoughts?

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Re: Club communication.

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:13 pm

Well stated Dave. I personally don't use FB as with Judi on it I have the info I need. And don't really want more. That being said I think we need a more immediate and inclusive way to hot our targets. Email for the everyone seems the best to me but I will always follow what works.
Mel Kuipers

Dogeater
Underlord

Postby Dogeater » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:53 am

I don't have facebook and don't plan to ever open an account there. I do only use this forum, granted I don't really autox anymore, but I keep trying. Getting the wife on board hasn't worked very well this year.
Whatever you guys decide, ill only check here for updates for the one or two times I plan on going to an event.

WD40
Lord

Postby WD40 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:32 am

I don't have facebook and don't plan to ever open an account there
^^^I will 2nd that comment.
Though I'm not very active on the forums anymore, I do read them every week.
Facebook? Nope.
WD40 Reverend GripShift
'04 SVT Focus 3-Door
My SuperMotors Site

Return to “Solo 2016”