Cardinal Distributing 6/5/16 Advice?

SWMT SCCA Auto-Cross discussion
turbo_saab
noob

Cardinal Distributing 6/5/16 Advice?

Postby turbo_saab » Mon May 16, 2016 11:48 am

Hey Guys!

I'm planning to run my 1991 Saab 9000, but I have never driven in an autocross event before.

I've been looking at the registration forms, requirements, and classing, but I don't have a really good idea of where to start.
Any advice for an autocross noob?

Thanks! :D
-Joe

DaveMk1
Lord

Re: Cardinal Distributing 6/5/16 Advice?

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Cool that you will be joining us - welcome!

I think one of the most basic things you should do is to give the car the once over. You'll want to make sure there are no fluid leaks and that everything is topped up. You'll want to be sure that the car is free of stuff that can move around. This pertains to everything from a bunch of change in the dash bin to the big sub woofers just sitting in the back. Once you start driving hard everything that isn't tied down will move around....and it will move a lot.

Your car will undergo a safety tech inspection and they will check to me sure that your seat belts work, that the battery is properly and firmly tied down (no bungy cords or tape) and that everything that could move around in the car while driving is removed. So do yourself a favor and check out this basic stuff a few days before the event and not wait for the tech guy to find your battery isn't tied down - it's hard to find a battery clamp at 8:00 am on a Sunday.

One thing most drivers will find very helpful is to raise the front tire pressures a good bit. This is especially true in a FWD car like a SAAB. If the normal pressure are in the 32 psi range you might think of bumping the fronts up to 40 or 42 psi. This will help make the tire stiffer and keep it from folding over during the hard cornering......it will be quicker, make a lot less squealing noise and dramatically reduce the tire wear.

You'll want your driver's license with you and you'll want enough food and drink for the day. There is food and drink available just 1/2 mile away but it can be hard to sneak out for that once the days starts.

I have no idea what class you may be in and frankly it's not that important for the first time out. The rule book will tell you if you read through it but you are completely welcome to just show up and run in NC (not classed) and not sweat it.

So other than that just show up and be ready to have a lot of fun. I think that you will find that everyone is very helpful so if you need something, or have a question, just ask and we'll do what we can.

Did I miss anything gentlemen? If anyone has anything to add please jump in.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Jmudge
Underlord

Postby Jmudge » Mon May 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Awesome that you will be joining us drive around a parking lot like a bunch of idiots! :D

I think Dave covered about everything except to wear close toed shoes.
Jonathan Mudge
Assistant to the Regional Executive
2013 Scion FR-S #14 STX. A white one

turbo_saab
noob

Re: Cardinal

Postby turbo_saab » Mon May 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys! lots of good information!

So, I wont worry about classing the saber this time around, And I have been going through and replacing anything that I see might be too worn out (control arm bushings, sway bar links, ball joints, wheel hubs, etc...)

Couple questions:
Do I need to buy a helmet? or can I just borrow one?
Where and when will I get my number?
And; Can i run this old set of tires i still got? they are just down to the wear bars.

thanks guys!

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Hey SAAB guy -

Here are a few answers for you -

- you can buy a helmet if you wish or you can use one of our loaner helmets while you are running - it won't stay with you for the day but you'll need to pick it up near the starting line for every run and then put it back after the run. This way others can use them too.

- you can pick any number you like....they are not assigned. You can make the numbers with a light colored painter's tape or use a white shoe polish on the side window. I'd use a light colored tape so it's easy to rear and easy to take off later. You'll need to supply your own tape.

- as long as the tires you have don't have cord showing and the sidewalls aren't cracked you are free to use them. This is one of the items that will be checked during the car tech.

When you register the guys at the table will be able to tell you about the different ways you can do it and how your entry can go toward a SCCA membership. I forget how it works but they are smarter than I am and they'll know.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Return to “Solo 2016”