Car classing rules interpretation

SWMT SCCA Auto-Cross discussion
mdlfCRXs
Lord

Car classing rules interpretation

Postby mdlfCRXs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:39 pm

I would like some input and on everyone's interpretations of the rules for STX please. I would like to add a mostly cosmetic front splitter/spoiler lip to my car. Primarily to add strength to the plastic bumper and fascia so nailing cones on occasion won't break the bumper. My car does not come with a spoiler, however this year the Frs model RS 2.0 is available with a front spoiler and side skirts. Here is picture of the black spoiler on the RS special edition. The RS is essentially the body trim and a couple of trim features on the interior.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 1801&rct=j

SCCA rule 12 states
Model
A group of cars of a given make which have virtually identical bodies and chassis but are readily distinguished from other models of the same make by virtue of a major difference in body appearance and/or chassis design. The names by which the manufacturer designates these groups have no bearing on this definition even though two (2) groups may be designated identically.

I would say the body appearance change is legal.

But rule 13. Street Category says:
Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes one model from another.
Alternate parts listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model.

I read this as perhaps engine or drivetrain upgrades.

Rule 14.2 in street touring says:

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side skirts, and non-functional sccops/vents is allowed provided that either:
1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.)
2. It is listed in the vehicle manufacturer’s US accessory catalog for that vehicle for normal highway use. This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, etc.

So the way I interpret this, the RS special edition is a cosmetic difference of the same MODEL car and the spoiler is therefore legal for my car.

What do you all think? Thank you.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-The Political Power Center
FR-S in STX, the other white one.

Jmudge
Underlord

Re: Car classing rules interpretation

Postby Jmudge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:13 pm

My understanding is that the only legal front lip is the TRD one since it's a factory part.
Jonathan Mudge
Assistant to the Regional Executive
2013 Scion FR-S #14 STX. A white one

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:15 pm

The TRD part is legal? Probably as a port add on. But by the rule book you cannot add anything from the performance catalog. BRZ has a lip they can legally use. Hmm.. If the TRD is legal I would add that. Thanks.
J. Rose

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:57 pm

TRD seems questionable to me. If you can't buy it from a show room as a *factory* option (port installed / dealer installed doesn't count), then it probably isn't legal. Plus, as you mentioned, the "performance catalog" is specifically excluded by rule 14.2,F,2.

However, I think you are totally legal to add the front lip (or any other body pieces) from the RS model per rule 14.2,F,1. It's a US model, and the spoiler is standard equipment.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:43 am

That is what I was thinking, TRD is definitely out by the rule book. Thanks Alex.
J. Rose

Jmudge
Underlord

Postby Jmudge » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:55 pm

I know there's a bunch of people running the TRD one on FT86club. I know the lip you can get for the BRZ from Subaru is legal...
Jonathan Mudge
Assistant to the Regional Executive
2013 Scion FR-S #14 STX. A white one

Return to “Solo 2016”