Car Improvement Season 2016 -

SWMT SCCA Auto-Cross discussion
DaveMk1
Lord

Car Improvement Season 2016 -

Postby DaveMk1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Well it's about time to start a new CIS thread.

I've been working in dropping some weigh out of my car. Getting it down to the minimum weight for DM would be possible but VERY expensive but I'm working the low hanging fruit first. I was about 150 lbs overweight for the class and should be able to lop that in half before race season starts. Most things done to reduce weight are hard to see but this one is really easy.

I've installed a carbon aeroscreen in place of the stock windshield. This pulls 20 pounds off from the highest point on the car and drastically reduces drag. This reduction brings to total weight loss up to 67 lbs so far with another 15-20 still waiting to be done.

Is it spring yet?

dave

Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Re: Car Improvement Season 2016 -

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:29 am

I like how it makes the car look even more snarly than before..now can you lower the drivers head, maybe take out his neck.....or maybe get a wing helmet......I will do an EC flash, and new Bridgestone RE11 tires....would like input on tires if someone has a better idea
Mel Kuipers

dgoetz
noob

Re: AXR Improvements

Postby dgoetz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:36 pm

After 1&1/2 seasons with the car the handling is finally coming together. The third AXR produced finished 2nd in Emod at the Lincoln Nationals in 2015. I got the first one ever built and when Scott tubbed the rear in order to fit in the 14" wide tires he relocated the shocks at a completely different angle. On a rocker arm suspension the angle of the shock and angle of the a-arm rod determine the progressiveness of the motion ratio. The first winter I had the car I calculated the new motion ratio using dial indicators and measured it every tenth of an inch. I went from a 350# rear spring that came on the unmodified prior version causing understeer of the car to a final of 650# in rear and went from 200# to 150# in front to bring the corner weight to spring rate back to the proper proportions. This is what the 2nd place Emod Nationals car had on it using my charts as a reference. With more front (relocate lower a-arm mounting position) and rear (toeing in under compression) suspension changes the car is now set very similar to Jason's 2nd place car.
The next project this winter is installing a custom built Jerico 4sp road race transmission, removing the 6sp T56. It offers over 900 gear ratio combinations, is 45lbs lighter, It is a constant mesh transmission, not synchromesh, more like a motorcycle that doesn't require using a clutch on down shifts and is much faster shifting up. The old tranny's 1st was too low for the infield portion of the Helena course and 2nd was too high. The new tranny will have 3 first gears that I can take off from a dead start. 1st- 62mph, 2nd 75mph, 3rd 90mph as compared to the T56 1st- 53mph, 2nd 79mph. 3rd 110mph. Also with so close of ratios between gears trying to match engine rpm when down shifting won't be necessary.
Next I have been in communication with Krause Racing tires and will use the latest Hoosier slicks and Avon ungrooved A15 wet compound tires for short, cool and or resurfaced asphalt surfaced courses.
Now I just have to learn to drive it.
It is going to be an interesting year, I hope.

Jmudge
Underlord

Postby Jmudge » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:07 pm

I now have a tire trailer and a hitch that can be completely removed in 5 minutes. HUGE thanks to Joe for the trailer. I installed new steering rack bushings to help increase feedback and response. That's about it for this year along with new RE-71R's in a month or 2.

Jonathan Mudge
Assistant to the Regional Executive
2013 Scion FR-S #14 STX. A white one

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Jmudge wrote:I now have a tire trailer and a hitch that can be completely removed in 5 minutes. HUGE thanks to Joe for the trailer. I installed new steering rack bushings to help increase feedback and response. That's about it for this year along with new RE-71R's in a month or 2.

Nice work - that will be handy!

dave
Dave K

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Mirrors installed on aeroscreen and raw carbon dash cut, tweaked, drilled and fitted. Pretty darn cool driving with this thing......it's all the more like a big go-kart.

dave

Dave K

WD40
Lord

Postby WD40 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:36 am

Nice shot of the Mini in the rear view mirror. :D
WD40 Reverend GripShift
'04 SVT Focus 3-Door
My SuperMotors Site

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:05 am

Question for Alex - how is that Scorpion battery working out for you? It's about time for me to pull the trigger on something and I wonder what your impression is so far.

dave
Dave K

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:00 pm

So-far, great. I had a little trouble early on due to the car being a little hard starting, but I discovered a couple of weeks ago that the reason for that was mostly due to my starter. I had swapped to a starter from a newer Toyota V6, but for some reason it didn't crank my motor as fast and was a big part of why my car has been so hard to start. So, with the starter swapped back to the original one, and some fine tuning of the cold start parameters in my ECU, it has been working great since then.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:58 pm

Cool - thanks!

dave
Dave K

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 pm

I placed the order for my battery and opted for the big heavy one - 3.6 lbs. It puts out 552 CCA and I reasoned that the extra 1.6 lbs was good insurance that the car will start on cold mornings. Still an 11.4 lbs savings bringing the season total up to 76.5 pounds......or 5% of total car weight. Another 10+ should come before race season begins.

dave
Dave K

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 am

you saved 76.5 lbs, and I bet I weight more than you by that much or more....it is a good thing I make so much methal---that has to make me lighter....no, I don't want you to touch that delusion in my mind....tyvm
Mel Kuipers

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:30 am

At our last Commons event Alex walked by my car and said something like "what's up with your front sway bar?" and when I looked I saw that it was broken into two pieces with one just hanging there by its end link. Not good. I ran the second half of the day without the bar and drove around the issue by bumping the damping on the front shocks up by a lot but it was kinda odd.

The stock bar was a welded piece that broke in fatigue over time and I certainly didn't want another one of those. I tried to buy an aftermarket bar but they are made to order in England with long lead times and i didn't want to wait long. I skipped the event last weekend in Helena as the handling without the bar is pretty dicy and the idea of diving into the fast turns on the road course or chasing the tail in the long slaloms seemed like a bad idea. So I built a new bar. Joe ran the numbers and confirmed that the tube I had available (3/4" with a .188" wall) would have the proper spring rate and then Christo at CS Motorsports and I bent it and now I'm back on the road with a car that doesn't want to swap ends when you turn.

So in a way this is a repair and not a "car improvement" but it's also an improvement as it should be reliable over time without breakaway welds.

dave

Dave K

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Fri May 27, 2016 7:54 am

And it looks good too. Great solution.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-The Political Power Center
FR-S in STX, the other white one.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Fri May 27, 2016 10:33 am

nice work...it never ceases to amaze me the stress we put on all the moving and non moving parts....its a good reminder to constantly tech our cars
Mel Kuipers

Return to “Solo 2016”