Spring 2016 to-do list.

SWMT SCCA Auto-Cross discussion
DaveMk1
Lord

Spring 2016 to-do list.

Postby DaveMk1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 am

In a separate thread Big Mel brought up a few ideas and I thought it might be valuable to pull them out of that thread and start another here with things we want/need to do for the upcoming spring. So without further adieu -

- new wireless timing lights/milk crates

- order more cones

- possibly replace Helena trailer with a van (this could be a very good thing assuming it's big enough to hold all the Helen cones)?

- new walkie talkies?

- new event boxes?

I'm sure there's more. maybe we can use this thread to outline what needs doing and then get updates as those things get done.......or if help is needed to get those things done.

I'm very excited to drive again this season and just thinking about it is fun.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

kjohnson
Lord

Re: Spring 2016 to-do list.

Postby kjohnson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:46 pm

I think replacing the trailer with a van is a decent idea, but not something we should just do on a whim. Vans have fluids and other maintenance items and may not be able to be indefinitely stored in the spot where the trailer is. There could be more logistics things to go with it. For now if you don't want to pull the trailer with your new RV we'll just have to make it known that we need a tuck to move the trailer, the EC will need to make sure that happens.

I'll email Joe about cones and milk crates.

I was supposed to look for flags too, I'll do that.

Walkie talkies, Joe can probly handle as well if we need more. (I'm going to volunteer him for a lot of stuff since he's been so quiet lately, but he is the one with the debit card)

Corner buckets, I don't think we decided on getting. We usually just pile up some cones someplace and say that's the corner, not a lot needs to go in the buckets so they aren't that useful. They aren't expensive though, if we need them we can get them.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

Dogeater
Underlord

Postby Dogeater » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:09 am

Well getting another van makes sense. Our club has always had difficulty getting pick ups for moving a trailer, sounds like maybe not as difficult as years past though. I do have the ability to find another junker like the "temporary" van that is still in use locally. My company has auctions about every month. I have seen some decent deals on vans 1/2 & 3/4 ton. They usually have a bunch of miles on them, but are way newer than the 1976 model we currently have. The bad thing is we would have to go and get them. It's one option.
I do plan on doing more autox this year as I have gotten rid of my Camaro the wife was afraid of driving, so now she can learn with the wrx. If our schedules don't jive she will bring up our truck to Helena and I will be happy to move the trailer around.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am

You may not be aware we got rid of the old van and replaced it with what we affectionately call the "LBD" or "long blue Dodge", and it's huge. Can't remember the year or anything.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:38 am

I have mixed feelings about a dedicated Helena van for a few reasons -

- maintenance will need to be done on the van and someone will need to make that happen and the club will need to pay for. Oil changes don't cost that much but if a repair needs doing it could add up quickly. The current box-on-wheels has zero associated costs and it only needs the air topped up each spring and we're done for the year.

- if the new van presents any problems we would only find out as we are going to set a course for the weekend. If it's dead in the weeds that means that someone needs to remove all the stuff out of the non-mobile van into something else and then return all the stuff on Sunday. If there was no truck available this would mean that people would be walking to the van, carrying cones back to their street car and setting the course. I doubt this would happen often but it wouldn't come as a surprise.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Dogeater
Underlord

Postby Dogeater » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 pm

kjohnson wrote:You may not be aware we got rid of the old van and replaced it with what we affectionately call the "LBD" or "long blue Dodge", and it's huge. Can't remember the year or anything.

I wasn't aware, I guess if I came to more than one event every 2 or 3 years I'd be better informed. :D

DaveMk1 wrote:- maintenance will need to be done on the van and someone will need to make that happen and the club will need to pay for. Oil changes don't cost that much but if a repair needs doing it could add up quickly. The current box-on-wheels has zero associated costs and it only needs the air topped up each spring and we're done for the year. dave

I agree with you.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:08 pm

I like the conversation....another thing in addition to the flags, is florescent vest for ALL course workers....its a safety thing and really not that expensive....and imho, all course workers should be vested and have their own flag....
Mel Kuipers

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:10 pm

The problem with vests in my mind is this:
The most likely way for a course worker to get hit is by an out of control car. In which case, visibility is a non-issue. To me, it's a feel-good measure that doesn't actually make anyone safer.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:01 am

Did we say 40 cones?

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:06 pm

I disagree Alex...I have been driving and spotted a worker resetting cones when I approached---the florescent vest would have given me much earlier recognition of the worker...in addition, the vest would set workers apart from everyone else, contributing to a serious group identity for the importance of the work...in my mind, those two things alone are serious focus on the dangerous work on course....remember, cars out of control are not the only (or most frequent) risk----cone resetting is probably much more serious risk....yellow or green would be my preferred colors, to differentiate from orange cones ( not that workers look like cones mind you)....more flags are even more important---drivers don't always see a worker waving his arms....
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Mel, we are definitely going to have more flags this season. I will make sure of that.

As far as vests.... I dunno. We don't want to wait for something to happen before making a rule, but it's not something we've ever done. We could provide the vests and give people an option to wear them. I doubt many people would choose that given the option, but then maybe we wouldn't feel so bad about it if somebody did get hit. Vests are probly like daylight running lights on cars, they seem silly in that I think a course worker [car] is pretty easy to see without a vest [daylight running lights] but even a tiny bit of extra visibility might make a difference. But is it a 1 percent difference that makes people not care, or a 50% difference that actually matters to people?

On the opposition argument... would having the vests on workers make an out of control driver focus on the worker making them more likely to get hit? (pro-tip: Look where you want to go not at the bright green screaming person.)

Jmudge
Underlord

Postby Jmudge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I agree with Mel about the course workers setting up cones being harder to see without a vest. They are simple enough to get so why not? We've had to wear them at other events I've been to.
Jonathan Mudge
Assistant to the Regional Executive
2013 Scion FR-S #14 STX. A white one

WyMCoupe
Underlord

Postby WyMCoupe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:54 pm

If we do get high visibility vests, it would be wise to make it mandatory for everybody out on the course working to wear one and not make it optional. If 75% of the people out on course working are wearing high vis vests it's going to make it harder to see the workers not wearing one because of the way the human brain works with peripheral vision. I just don't see everyone wearing a high vis vest unless we make it mandatory but that's just my opinion on it. It's a great idea and I honestly thought the SCCA should have made it mandatory for autoxes a long time ago.

Dogeater
Underlord

Postby Dogeater » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:00 pm

I'm with Mel. I know they help me a lot seeing a course worker setting cones (we're all looking far enough ahead right?), helps me determine if they are gonna get their butt outta the way in time(all course workers run, right? :roll: ). The argument of the outta control car is moot....its outta control. I agree with Kent, waiting for an accident to happen then make a rule is not a good safety program. I would say make them mandatory in Helena and optional locally. I say this and I hate wearing them.
To me a good rule of thumb is.... what do they require at a national event? If we are in doubt those events are a great source for helping make a decision on what to do.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:13 pm

I think the requirement should be for all events. At local events it makes a visual distinction between workers and nonworkers. Local events have spectators closer to the track.
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:15 pm

FYI, I checked in with Joe on the to-do list and he's ordering 60 cones, 4 radios, and some milk crates.

I still need to check out the flag situation.

Return to “Solo 2016”