Wireless timing lights

SWMT SCCA Auto-Cross discussion
mdlfCRXs
Lord

Wireless timing lights

Postby mdlfCRXs » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 pm

I thought we should have a separate section to discuss system upgrades. Has the wireless timing lights requirements been figured out? Is there buying authority approved? Is our current laptop adequate? Is it compatible with the wireless lights system?

Anything else we need to think about before the season starts?
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-The Political Power Center
FR-S in STX, the other white one.

Alex
Lord

Re: Wireless timing lights

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:43 pm

My understanding is that we approved buying at the meeting in December. I will admit that I have not done anything further on that, but basically it comes down to just buying the system and figuring out how it works. We aren't exactly breaking new ground here, so I don't think any of that will be terribly difficult.

Laptop should be perfectly adequate, and hopefully with the new (and clean) installation of Windows 7 will be problem free and reliable. I do need to do a bit of testing to confirm that.

Other things to think about:

Not sure if we will use milk crates with the wireless lights, or use the tri-pods that they come with. If we plan to use milk crates, we still need to get replacements. Really, we need replacements regardless, since the wired lights should still be kept as a backup set.

Radios. I have two of the old black ones sitting on my desk that died last year. We have three new yellow ones, three blue ones from a few years ago, and two more old black ones. Is eight total enough, considering that at bigger events timing, starter, grid, board, and safety steward all ought to have one, plus course workers? Especially since the black ones seem to be dying at a decent rate. Might not hurt to have a few more.

Cones. I think we decided at the last meeting to get some more.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:15 am

thanks for the question, and answer....we are only three months to the first event of the season....I assume Alex is assigned to the timing--communication equipment upgrades....imho, lets replace all the walkie talkies with new---lets not run into a problem at an event as there is no good option if that is a problem...as to computer, lets go new---warranty and compatability are important and failure at an event is not worth the risk....a new thot---lets get an LBD for Helena...we traded our motorhome for new, and I will not use the new one to move the timing trailer from the pad to where it lives in Helena (like I did with the old one)....there are pickups to pull the trailer available at all events, but not necessarily when the trailer needs moving after the event....I would like to see us get things in order prior to the season, not just at the day before the event....being retired, I have more time to help make the club events run smooth thereby giving us more seat time....that is my incentive for this stage of my life.....discuss...
Mel Kuipers

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:04 am

Good input Mel. Thanks for the ideas. I will do what i can to help prepare.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-The Political Power Center
FR-S in STX, the other white one.

Jmudge
Underlord

Postby Jmudge » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:07 am

Awesome ideas Mel. I agree with you and I will gladly help with whatever you would like this year.
Jonathan Mudge
Assistant to the Regional Executive
2013 Scion FR-S #14 STX. A white one

WyMCoupe
Underlord

Postby WyMCoupe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Alex wrote:Laptop should be perfectly adequate, and hopefully with the new (and clean) installation of Windows 7 will be problem free and reliable. I do need to do a bit of testing to confirm that.

I agree. Pulling it apart, cleaning it, making sure all the fans work properly, testing the memory and the HDD should be a priority as well. If it's "misplacing" drivers and blue screening that sounds more hardware related to me. A fresh Win7 install might fix it in a bench test temporarily but it might start messing up again once we get it out on location. Being hauled around from one hot dingy location to the next doesn't bode well for computer health. I also have no idea what sort of bloatware is currently on the computer as well but I think it would be best to keep it to a bare minimum if that's not on your agenda already. If it was just the basic Win7 stuff a lot of it can be disabled to make it run leaner.

Dogeater
Underlord

Postby Dogeater » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Is the club laptop still the HP Mike Johnson and I bought a few years ago??? if it is, throw that piece of crap away I always hated that thing.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:37 am

It is, and in my opinion the problem with it was always Vista, not the hardware. That problem should have been solved by the clean installation of Windows 7 that I did at the end of last season.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

Return to “Solo 2016”