Auto Cross and Auto Insurance

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2014 season.
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Auto Cross and Auto Insurance

Postby Mel Kuipers » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:09 pm

met with my auto ins guy, and he thinks Farm Bureau will not cover damage during an autocross event, because it is timed....I know about Joe's experience...has anyone else talked with their ins people about coverage during an autocross event?....what does National SCCA say?...did you have any coverage Alex?
Mel Kuipers

DaveMk1
Lord

Re: Auto Cross and Auto Insurance

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:23 pm

Mel Kuipers wrote:met with my auto ins guy, and he thinks Farm Bureau will not cover damage during an autocross event, because it is timed....I know about Joe's experience...has anyone else talked with their ins people about coverage during an autocross event?....what does National SCCA say?...did you have any coverage Alex?

I think one can buy specific insurance for a vehicle for use on track and in competition but I know of no street policies that cover the car while being used in any competition. I've always worked on the premise that if I ball the car up during an autocross that I'll be on my own.

Interestingly I first insured the Westfield with State Farm (I've been with them for over 30 years for my regular cars) and the local agent wrote up the policy without issue. A month later I got notice from State Farm corporate saying they were canceling my policy because they had reason to believe I was going to race it. I can only guess that when the photos of the car went over the desk in the big office that they thought it looked not enough like a street car and that they went online (Facebook?) and searched my name and saw that I'm a member of the SCCA and it was a done deal. Funny since they wouldn't cover the damage anyway if it happened at an event but they wanted out.

I called Grundy and had a policy in a few days and it was cheaper. Live and learn.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

nathan@406racing
noob

Postby nathan@406racing » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:20 pm

None of my insurance covers cars / motorcycles / dirtbikes / etc if used in any type of competition.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm

I got nothing from the insurance company. I actually talked to my agent about it, and he said if they (State Farm corporate, as opposed to his local office) found out what I was doing they would probably drop me.

Generally speaking, nobody offers insurance for any sort of competitive event. You can buy insurance for track days, but my understanding is that even that specialized coverage ends as soon as the clock starts.

The insurance policies I have looked at usually have wording to exclude anything that happens on a "permanent or temporary race track", as well as any timed or competitive event. The first part excludes most track days and autocross, and the second part also excludes autocross. My understanding is that Joe got lucky in that they didn't consider the Lewistown "facility" to be a race track, either permanent or temporary. Had it happened down at Miller, it would have been a different situation.

Regarding Dave's experience, I haven't heard of it happening very often, but one does occasionally hear of people getting dropped because they autocross, even though the insurance companies don't cover you while you are racing anyway. Sucks, and really seems like it shouldn't be legal. Fortunately the collector car companies (from what I have seen) don't seem to care, and will actually specifically write you a policy to cover your race care while it's not being raced. Unfortunately they often won't cover cars they don't consider "classics", and they also usually have yearly mileage and usage restrictions (like no daily driving). But, if you can deal with the restrictions they are often cheaper than ordinary insurance, and come with a stated value rather than taking ones chances with how the regular insurance company will value your "old" car.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 am

Regarding insurance while competing, I've always been under the assumption they wouldn't cover me while competing, but wouldn't care about it if I did autocross the car, but I've never asked my agent.

As far as "classic cars" I don't know if my '72 Z is considered a classic, but I called to get insurance on it thinking they wouldn't offer full coverage for it, or they'd have some stipulations, but he just said it's an extra 50 a year on my existing policy and no problem.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

WD40
Lord

Postby WD40 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:24 am

I took our insurance agent along for a ride at a couple different Helena events.
Problem solved...still covered.
WD40 Reverend GripShift
'04 SVT Focus 3-Door
My SuperMotors Site

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 am

that explains why I beat you that time...are you coming this weekend?...I missed our competition at the Big Sky Blast
Mel Kuipers

WD40
Lord

Postby WD40 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 am

Mel Kuipers wrote:are you coming this weekend?...I missed our competition at the Big Sky Blast

Won't be at the event.
I'll hopefully be water skiing on Saturday and then getting ready to head to Spokane (OctoCross) the following weekend.
Spokane's only about a 40% "go" at this point, but I'm hoping to change that.
Have fun in Helena this weekend.
WD40 Reverend GripShift

'04 SVT Focus 3-Door

My SuperMotors Site

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:42 pm

WD40 wrote:
Mel Kuipers wrote:are you coming this weekend?...I missed our competition at the Big Sky Blast

Won't be at the event.
I'll hopefully be water skiing on Saturday and then getting ready to head to Spokane (OctoCross) the following weekend.
Spokane's only about a 40% "go" at this point, but I'm hoping to change that.
Have fun in Helena this weekend.

See you in Spokane.......I'm also going. Need a few more Montana boys over there too. There were a lot of Idaho/Washington people in Helena for Top Gun....... and we should try and show up for their big event at Spokane County Raceway as well.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

Return to “Solo 2014”