Clutch Rules Help

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2014 season.
User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Clutch Rules Help

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:51 am

My clutch is approaching the end of its life, and I am thinking of a lighter replacement---8lbs, vs the 21lbs in there now....I don't see clutches mentioned in any of the classes and know the "if it don't say you can, then you can't rule"....so in STR, can I replace with a lighter clutch?...if not, and I do go lighter, what class would that put me in?....like all human beings, my own interests does effect how I interpret the rules, and I do want to be fair....
Mel Kuipers

User avatar
Alex
Lord
Posts: 1185
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Looks like Street Prepared is the first class to allow clutch / flywheel changes.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

User avatar
nathan@406racing
noob
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby nathan@406racing » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Unless you're planning on going to Nationals anytime soon:

Mel, do it! The more performance upgrades, the better! Change whatever you feel like and figure out what class you're in next year a couple weeks before the first race of the season.

Like Alex said, Street Prepared allows it.

User avatar
wiseriver
Underlord
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Wiseriver

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby wiseriver » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Yea.... do it Mel. Would love to have you join me in CSP :)
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

User avatar
nathan@406racing
noob
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby nathan@406racing » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Forgot to mention, lighter flywheel is a very common upgrade for the Miatas. Mine's 10 lb. I believe Knudson's is 10 lb. Don't know which one Ron went with, but I'm sure it's lighter than stock.

User avatar
wiseriver
Underlord
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Wiseriver

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby wiseriver » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 am

Not exactly sure which lightweight flywheel I have on the car currently...... as it came with the car when I purchased it. But, I do know that it a very pretty violet colored one. :) Must be ultra lightweight !!!

nathan@406racing wrote:Forgot to mention, lighter flywheel is a very common upgrade for the Miatas. Mine's 10 lb. I believe Knudson's is 10 lb. Don't know which one Ron went with, but I'm sure it's lighter than stock.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:40 pm

All....I love the advice...in the words of Nathan I will upgrade to taste, and worry about class later....which means I will be going with the 8 lb Flyin Miata flywheel...stand back Ron, here we come to CSP
Mel Kuipers

User avatar
wiseriver
Underlord
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Wiseriver

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby wiseriver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Mel Kuipers wrote:All....I love the advice...in the words of Nathan I will upgrade to taste, and worry about class later....which means I will be going with the 8 lb Flyin Miata flywheel...stand back Ron, here we come to CSP


OH BOY !!!! OH BOY !!! OH BOY !!! OH BOY !!! :D I can't wait. The adrenalin is starting to pump already. Going to be some new blood letting in the class next season. It will be fun.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:40 pm

But, I do know that it a very pretty violet colored one. :) Must be ultra lightweight !!!
Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
Mel Kuipers

User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Re: Clutch Rules Help

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm

wiseriver wrote:Not exactly sure which lightweight flywheel I have on the car currently...... as it came with the car when I purchased it. But, I do know that it a very pretty violet colored one. :) Must be ultra lightweight !!!

nathan@406racing wrote:Forgot to mention, lighter flywheel is a very common upgrade for the Miatas. Mine's 10 lb. I believe Knudson's is 10 lb. Don't know which one Ron went with, but I'm sure it's lighter than stock.

this post is just to try the quote option, yes I can learn too
Mel Kuipers


Return to “Solo 2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests