calling Alex and Jame J

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2013 season.
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

calling Alex and Jame J

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:11 am

It has been three days, and I am increasingly impressed with the gravity of your off road event...it will change how I view the events and safety....but the #1 reason for this post is I really like you two and have not had an update on how you are physically and mentally now that you are three days post event...and I know I am not the only one concerned for your well fare..please post an update on how you are...thanks, Mel
Mel Kuipers

Pinky
Underlord

Re: calling Alex and Jame J

Postby Pinky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 am

Mel Kuipers wrote:It has been three days, and I am increasingly impressed with the gravity of your off road event...it will change how I view the events and safety....but the #1 reason for this post is I really like you two and have not had an update on how you are physically and mentally now that you are three days post event...and I know I am not the only one concerned for your well fare..please post an update on how you are...thanks, Mel

+1 on all of this. I had decided that if I hadn't heard anything by this evening, I was going to write this post...
Pinky - "In a car this small and low to the ground, never tailgate the honeywagon!"
1973 Datsun 240Z - he's purple.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:50 am

Physically, I'm doing OK overall. I was definitely sore on Sunday, a little bit on Monday, and felt almost normal on Tuesday. Today I have some sore spots that came back, but it's almost more like I slept funny than anything. I talked to James on Monday and he said his ribs were hurting a lot worse and that he was going to go get them checked out, but I have not heard since.

Mentally, less good. A big mix of glad to be OK, sorry that James is worse off than me, and really kicking myself for not installing two harnesses, as I am pretty certain that is what made the difference. At the time I was viewing it primarily as a driver aid, with safety being a secondary benefit. Not that I didn't know it would be safer, but the reason I did it was to hold myself in place for car control.

Of course sad about the car (tough to walk by it every day, that's for sure), and lots of wondering and second guessing what exactly I did wrong that put us over the edge. The shift to 3rd REALLY bothers me, it was a bad place to shift and I could have carried second through that section at the same speed. Or maybe it was just a little too much speed, a little too un-smooth, etc.

I watched James's video on Monday. Spooky. After seeing it, I was shaking like it had just happened.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:26 pm

thank you for the update...I do care about you, and if you ever need to just talk about it, give me a call...or if you don't want to talk about it, tell me and I will be silent (yes, I can do that)...continue to get well...
Mel Kuipers

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm doing ok. I got checked out by my Dr. yesterday and he says it's not anything too bad. I was feeling really sore and stiff yesterday and the ribs were bothering me but I am feeling better today. I'm just taking it slow and easy. But I'm not going to let this faze me. Hopefully the Subie and myself will be ready for the next event.
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:29 pm

thanks for the update James...I am glad you got a medical opinion...as a concession to your experience, I promise to let you drive faster than me at the Commons next sat...lol
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Glad you're both ok and it seems like you haven't suffered any permanent damage. I would have bugged you earlier, but I figured you guys just needed some time to not think about it and clear your heads.

Alex, I don't know what your plans are, but let me know if you need help doing anything with the car, or getting the red one ready for another autocross. Or if you just want to use my car.

Put some ice on those ribs James.

I'm hoping to get to race again in September and I hope you'll both be there.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Happy you guys are doing allright.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

themobtheory
noob

Postby themobtheory » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

I've said it a few places already, but I am SO thankful that both of you are alright. Alex, if you need it, I'll make my shop available for you if it would help. James, it's good to know you got a medical opinion and that it seemed positive!

Pinky
Underlord

Postby Pinky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:58 pm

So glad to hear you both are doing ok.
Pinky - "In a car this small and low to the ground, never tailgate the honeywagon!"
1973 Datsun 240Z - he's purple.

WD40
Lord

Postby WD40 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 am

^^^Ditto.
That was scary, and I'm extremely glad to see you both doing OK albeit a bit sore.
WD40 Reverend GripShift
'04 SVT Focus 3-Door
My SuperMotors Site

WyMCoupe
Underlord

Postby WyMCoupe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 pm

It's good to hear your both doing okay!

James, glad you saw a doctor for the "popping noise" coming from your ribs.

And Alex, I honestly can't wait to see what you have planned next. If it be buying another MKII MR2 shell, swapping the guts of your MKII into your MKI or going with something completely different, you have some serious talent building a car and then driving it to its absolute limits. And while your old MR2 will be sorely missed by everyone, I'm sure what ever you build next will be just as awesome.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm

WyMCoupe wrote:And Alex, I honestly can't wait to see what you have planned next. If it be buying another MKII MR2 shell, swapping the guts of your MKII into your MKI or going with something completely different, you have some serious talent building a car and then driving it to its absolute limits. And while your old MR2 will be sorely missed by everyone, I'm sure what ever you build next will be just as awesome.

Thanks Lindsey. My plan at this point is to look for another MKII shell. On that front, I finally looked at my car a little this evening, and the good news is, all the important mechanical bits seem to be OK. It fires right up, and once I fixed the rear strut mount that was causing the massive positive rear camber and swapped on some wheels and tires that had air in them, it drives as well. Suspension wise, I didn't look TOO closely, but it looks like I might have one bent strut, and even if it isn't bend the adjuster on that koni is destroyed from it poking a hole in the top of the fender. Both of the wheels on the drivers side have bends in them, the front a radial bend in the inside lip at the very least (looks like it landed on a big rock), and the rear rocks a bit when laid on a concrete floor. Other than that, closer inspection will be required, but all of the important suspension bits are custom pieces that I make, so replacing them isn't too difficult.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

s2kautoxr
Underlord

Postby s2kautoxr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 pm

WyMCoupe wrote:you have some serious talent building a car and then driving it to its absolute limits. And while your old MR2 will be sorely missed by everyone, I'm sure what ever you build next will be just as awesome.

I second this statement and look forward to the next rocket that you build.
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports.....all others are games - Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Solo 2013”