today last 2012 event

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2012 season.
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

today last 2012 event

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Alex, you have spoiled me...I got home and given the last few event #s postings, I expected them...no big deal, I will just enjoy and adult beverage and a nap...great event for our closer at home this year...every body stepped up with the work, we got lots of runs, and the social part was real special for me...which is not to mention some serious driving...I have not had this much fun since the last event...and believe it on don't, the rest of my life is excitingtoo...sweet dreams tonite, I know I will dream of beating Dave Kirk by so many seconds he scratches his head in wonder...
Mel Kuipers

Alex
Lord

Re: today last 2012 event

Postby Alex » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Sorry about that Mel, I was a little slow today :) Results are up now.

Fun day, good turnout, a good close to our local event season. Hope to see everyone for one last event in Helena.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:52 pm

you da man Alex!!! they are printing so I didn't see, but I think I beat you today, so that explains my you da man...lol
Mel Kuipers

Pinky
Underlord

Postby Pinky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Awesome, awesome, day! My best day yet! W00-H00!!

Before I forget again: I have yet to pay my entrance fee for today. Russ (I think) asked me to hold on to it until Helena, which I can do, but if preferred I'm happy to send it by postal mail.

Did a group photo get taken? I just got barely home and had completely forgotten about it until i found my camera on the passenger seat as I was taking out my 'racing toys' for to get ready to go to work tomorrow.
Pinky - "In a car this small and low to the ground, never tailgate the honeywagon!"
1973 Datsun 240Z - he's purple.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 pm

A really fun day wasn't it? I have to admit that this morning when I set the course and drove it to check it out and spun..........during a lap where I was driving 6/10...........that I thought this might suck. But once it got scrubbed in a bit and warmer it was really fun. It never got all that grippy but it was consistent. As I told Jonathan this morning before the event............a suby was the car to have today. All wheel drive and sealed parking lots go together well.

I loved seeing the tight running between a bunch of drivers - man that was some close racing and the pax ended up being really tight. Very cool.

I was really impressed with how much a few drivers stepped it up - Tom in the Alfa went way faster than any car that old should be able to go - amazing.

A huge thanks to Mel for taking on the EC duties and sitting in the hop seat and a big thanks to all of you that were so cool to race with all day and then jumped right in and helped clean up. It means more than you know.

I look forward to our Helena event in two weeks. Mel has asked that I design the course for it and I've got some ideas so please plan on coming.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

s2kautoxr
Underlord

Postby s2kautoxr » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:19 am

DaveMk1 wrote:Tom in the Alfa went way faster than any car that old should be able to go - amazing.

x2 Very impressive!
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports.....all others are games - Ernest Hemingway

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm

A few things I done forgot -

* Russ - you won stock and I have a glass for you if you want to pick it up sometime.

* I had suggested that we take a group photo after the event this past weekend and I brain farted it completely. Once we were done running I just went into tear down mode and forgot until Pinky posted something about it. My bad.

* I wonder if we could use the area we staged in yesterday for an additional turn? Hmmm? Maybe.

* Props to TJ for coming early and helping with tech before heading off to fab stuff. Thanks man.

* A belated props to Mary for coming to our last Commons event to help get us rolling in the morning when she could even stay and run. Thanks Mary!

* Mel - as soon as you find out how much pad space we have to use in Helena in two weeks please let me know and I'll get busy and drawing.

Ok - that's it.

Dave
Dave K

tlleeming
noob

Postby tlleeming » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:55 pm

DaveMk1 wrote:A really fun day wasn't it? I have to admit that this morning when I set the course and drove it to check it out and spun..........during a lap where I was driving 6/10...........that I thought this might suck. But once it got scrubbed in a bit and warmer it was really fun. It never got all that grippy but it was consistent. As I told Jonathan this morning before the event............a suby was the car to have today. All wheel drive and sealed parking lots go together well.

I loved seeing the tight running between a bunch of drivers - man that was some close racing and the pax ended up being really tight. Very cool.

I was really impressed with how much a few drivers stepped it up - Tom in the Alfa went way faster than any car that old should be able to go - amazing.

A huge thanks to Mel for taking on the EC duties and sitting in the hop seat and a big thanks to all of you that were so cool to race with all day and then jumped right in and helped clean up. It means more than you know.

I look forward to our Helena event in two weeks. Mel has asked that I design the course for it and I've got some ideas so please plan on coming.

Dave

Thanks for the kudos, glad folks enjoy seeing the Alfa Run.... but more over thanks to all for making me and Lynnie feel so welcome....we are having a blast!

WyMCoupe
Underlord

Postby WyMCoupe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks Dave for an awesome course setup! Thanks Mel for running the show! And thanks everyone who came out and for all the close competition! I had a really fun time and a great day of racing!

s2kautoxr
Underlord

Postby s2kautoxr » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:47 pm

DaveMk1 wrote:* Russ - you won stock and I have a glass for you if you want to pick it up

I will bring the glass I got to Helena for Russ. As I said Russ had raw but it appeared I had PAX. I always thought the class wins were on raw time. I apologize for the confusion.

Brad
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports.....all others are games - Ernest Hemingway

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the effort and hard work to put on these events... it's much appreciated. I had a great time, and thoughly enjoyed every minute.

Tom, that Alfa is a beauty in motion. I love seeing it on the track. I just may have to keep my eyes open real wide and see if I can find one hiding in an old farmer's barn somewhere. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Hope to see everyone up in Helena in a few weeks.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 pm

I just ran across these on Facebook -

Thanks for taking them Ross.

Dave

Dave K

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:39 am

s2kautoxr wrote:
DaveMk1 wrote:* Russ - you won stock and I have a glass for you if you want to pick it up

I will bring the glass I got to Helena for Russ. As I said Russ had raw but it appeared I had PAX. I always thought the class wins were on raw time. I apologize for the confusion.

Brad

I think we have it wrong Brad - the stock award goes to the highest placed stock class car in pax and I see you got Russ by .016 seconds..........so that should make you the winner of the stock category. I made t=notice to Russ above based on what you had said at the event but we were both confused I think. So unless I misunderstand something you should keep the hard earned glass.

dave
Dave K

DaveMk1
Lord

Tank Slapper

Postby DaveMk1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 am

So Karin's mom was in town and her friend was with her at the Cardinal event and he took a big pile of photos. He happened to catch the tank slapper I had during my last run. I got on the gas a bit too hard and a bit too early and it caused the ass-end to step out in a big way - I corrected but then it went the other way and when I finally got it going straight again I was off course.

It's also interesting to note that the photos were shot at 4 frames/second so these 5 photos show just how wrong things can go and how far things can travel in 1.25 seconds even on a very small course. I crammed in a whole lot of steering input there in 1.25 seconds.

Fun stuff.

Dave

Dave K

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am

Nice photo sequence there Dave. Those curbs start to look awfully close when you are going at them a little sideways don't they? :)
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:46 am

Hey guys, here's a link to the pics I snapped that day.

Cardinal Pics
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

Return to “Solo 2012”