A study of Lines

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

A study of Lines

Postby Mel Kuipers » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 am

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6FoBYD8 ... r_embedded
if you turn the sound off, and watch the video, then you can try guess which car was faster...I got it wrong, but only by .009 seconds....the video shows that small differences can hurt your time, but that you can also make up time with adjustments....
Mel Kuipers

JoeE
Drover

Re: A study of Lines

Postby JoeE » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:33 pm

That is really cool, I love stuff like that, although it would be so much better with some data like steering angle and throttle position.
For sake of discussion I have have a couple thoughts, but if you feel there is no way some dude in MT that just finished a Foster's oil can, drives an old 911 that he can barely keep from spinning in every corner could possibly know more than a BBC commentator, stop reading now.
At 1:08, the commentator mentions Vettel's late apex, early on the throttle all that. If you can pause at 1:09, you can see Button slightly ahead at that shadow. Then pause at 1:20, Vettel is closer, nearly even, that is good stuff. But... when paused at 1:09, it sure looks to me like they have both turned in at the same point, and about the same amount. At 1:10 Vettel has less steering angle though, and he carries that less angle through the whole corner. So he apexed later, but turned in at the same point?
At 2:05 the commentator points out that Vettel takes more curb resulting in more speed, what I notice is that he moved the wheel earlier and his steering angle is less. I think that is more critical than the difference in line. Had he made the same actions with the car a foot to the right he would still be faster.
Just my $.02 of course.
Discuss, I think this is good stuff for all of us. Thanks for the post Mel.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:22 pm

That is some cool chit. I could watch the tire spin all day - simple minded I know but I love the way they look at speed.

Makes me want to buy an Ariel Atom and take the front fenders off!

Hmmmmm?

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:08 pm

So I'm standing at the stove working on homemade turkey soup and suddenly had a thought - Joe you referenced the shadows that the drivers were passing over and the timing of that. That seemed logical except when you think that shadows move a good bit even over a short period of time and when things are as tight as they are, like between these two drivers, the movement of the shadow might really make things hard to gauge. If the runs were an hour apart then it would be much different.

Odd what I think of when making soup.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:37 pm

That's a good point, I just assumed they were on track at the same time.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 am

I got so focussed on the lines, I never thot about throttle and brakes and such...or the shadow moving...I too thot they were there at the same time, but then we would see them both...it takes me about 5 minutes to read the Livingston Enterprise, and yes, the sun moves a lot during that brief period...good stuff and it is never to early to learn something new, or blend what you know differently...
Mel Kuipers

Return to “Solo 2011”