Anyone heading to Karl Tyler event?

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
findurpath
Underlord

Anyone heading to Karl Tyler event?

Postby findurpath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 am

I am considering heading up for the Monday event. Anyone else planning on attending?
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Re: Anyone heading to Karl Tyler event?

Postby mdlfCRXs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 am

There is also a Sunday-Monday event in Great Falls at the airbase. Make sure you get access information to Blue at their website first.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:17 am

Oh shoot...I forgot about that one. Hmmm...now it's a toss up for me because both are about the same drive. But I'd imagine the Maelstrom course being much larger, similar to Helena?

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:38 am

Lots of choices this weekend as there is also an event in Billings.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

findurpath wrote:Oh shoot...I forgot about that one. Hmmm...now it's a toss up for me because both are about the same drive. But I'd imagine the Maelstrom course being much larger, similar to Helena?

Actually Malmstrom is probably bigger. It is at the end of their runways with 2 large pads, one the size of Helena's and another about 1/2 that size connected to taxiways and runways that are wide. I think there is a satellite photo on their website. They work in a triangle area of taxi and runways at the far east end of the base.

I was there in July:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13ZgOrAwnQ

Great course, lots of flow and not too fast, about right I thought.

Make sure to check with Blue on access and he said to use the 10th street entrance this week. Far east Great Falls then north to 10th and on to the base. The course is at the far east side of the base, just keep heading towards the hangers and the east end of the base.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:14 pm

James... Good luck at Malmstrom, if that's where you are going this weekend.... If I were in Montana... I'd be at the base for the race. I'm on my way down to Boise to run in the Bogus Basin Hill Climb.... Looks like the weather will be nice down here. It was dam cold in Wise River when I left today. I'm planning on setting the hill record with my M Coupe in CS class. Wish me luck.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

02BMW
noob

Postby 02BMW » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm

[quote][/quote]James... Good luck at Malmstrom, if that's where you are going this weekend.... If I were in Montana... I'd be at the base for the race. I'm on my way down to Boise to run in the Bogus Basin Hill Climb.... Looks like the weather will be nice down here. It was dam cold in Wise River when I left today. I'm planning on setting the hill record with my M Coupe in CS class. Wish me luck.wiseriver
noob

Private messageE-mail wiseriver

I am so jealous of you going to Bogus B, I have heard it is a great hill. Good luck!!!!!!!!!! Will I see you at Pioneer? Getting the M3 ready for sudden death or a win over the M. evo - HA!!!!
Dave
Dave V

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his right foot:
03 330xi, 95 M3, 90 325is, 88 325is, 74 2002XP, 48 chev dump truck

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Just returned from Bogus Basin..... and all I can say.. is.... WOW !!!!! What a blast. That is one great hill to race on. There were close to 50 racers for the 2 day event. Lots of really fast cars... and many not so fast. No major accidents, and no one got hurt. It was a wonderful weekend. I would highly recommend it to everyone to try and go at least once in your lifetime....

I even managed to set a new hill record in my BMW M Coupe in CS class, with a 2.03.652. Old one was 2.23.419. Faster by 20 seconds !!!!

Hope to see some of you at the Pioneer Mtn Hill Climb this weekend over here. I just drove the hill today.. and the road is in great shape. No gravel on the road now. Looks like it has been washed with the water trucks. Should be some good racing.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Congratulations Ron! You demolished the previous record! How does the hill climb work? Do you get practice runs?

I decided to take a break today and use that money saved to sign up for the DE day at Lewistown coming up. Although all day today I felt like a bum knowing that I was missing out on some good cone action. :?

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

findurpath wrote:I decided to take a break today and use that money saved to sign up for the DE day at Lewistown coming up. Although all day today I felt like a bum knowing that I was missing out on some good cone action. :?

Good call, Lewistown is lots of fun. Just make sure your brakes are up to the task, that track is absolutely MURDER on brakes. Full on race pads highly recommended.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm

findurpath wrote:Congratulations Ron! You demolished the previous record! How does the hill climb work? Do you get practice runs?

:?

Nope.... no practice runs allowed. You can drive the course the day before, at normal posted speeds, to get a feel for it. There were 4 run groups altogether... 10 to 12 in each. Two groups would make 3 runs in the morning, and the second 2 run groups would make there 3 runs in the afternoon. Then the next day, the run groups are reversed. Altogether, we made 6 runs. It's very well organized.

Here is a link to a video I made of my best run.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSPeqPwthQ

Enjoy, Ron

2000 Mazda Miata

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:43 pm

wiseriver wrote:Just returned from Bogus Basin..... and all I can say.. is.... WOW !!!!! What a blast. That is one great hill to race on. There were close to 50 racers for the 2 day event. Lots of really fast cars... and many not so fast. No major accidents, and no one got hurt. It was a wonderful weekend. I would highly recommend it to everyone to try and go at least once in your lifetime....

I even managed to set a new hill record in my BMW M Coupe in CS class, with a 2.03.652. Old one was 2.23.419. Faster by 20 seconds !!!!

Hope to see some of you at the Pioneer Mtn Hill Climb this weekend over here. I just drove the hill today.. and the road is in great shape. No gravel on the road now. Looks like it has been washed with the water trucks. Should be some good racing.

Congrats - nice driving!

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

Return to “Solo 2011”