Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
User avatar
DaveMk1
Lord
Posts: 3481
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:05 am
Location: Bozeman
Contact:

Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 am

I hope everyone got home OK an is now rested and rehydrated.

I stayed around for the awards yesterday and picked up some of the Top Gun awards for our club folks but not everyone's. I have the awards here at home and will be happy to bring them to our next event if you don't want to come by my place sooner than that. If one of these is yours and you want to come by and pick it up just get in touch and let me know and we'll make it happen. To be honest I can't be 100% sure who got what award so we will need to wait until Blue gets the results posted on their site. Nonetheless here is what I have here -

AS - 2nd (Joe?)
AS - 3rd (Joel?)
DS - 1st (Mike - I will mail this to you)
SM - 2nd ?
SM - 3rd ?

So get in touch with me and we'll get you your trophy.

----------------------------------------------

As for the MT Challenge awards. Due to the extensive computer timing issues yesterday things were running late and the decision was made to figure out the MTC awards and then mail them to each club to be distributed to our winners here. Mike - I will mail your MTC award along with your TG award when I have them both in hand.

I think that's it for now. I was great driving with you all this weekend. I hope it works out that we can drive at Cardinal this weekend. Watch the forum for info.

Nice work this weekend - our members represented the club well and really stepped it up. Again - nice work.

See you soon.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1896
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby Mel Kuipers » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Dave...which club got the Top Gun?
Mel Kuipers

User avatar
DaveMk1
Lord
Posts: 3481
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:05 am
Location: Bozeman
Contact:

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Mel Kuipers wrote:Dave...which club got the Top Gun?


Region 38 out of Missoula won the huge trophy and I think they dominated on the points tally.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

User avatar
mdlfCRXs
Lord
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: Butte, MT

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby mdlfCRXs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:37 am

That is OK on the trophy, it is designed to handle events through 2049 (winners tags), so maybe next year, or the next,... The preliminary results are posted on the GF's site, just run times now.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

User avatar
kjohnson
Lord
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:21 am
Location: Belgrade, MT

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby kjohnson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 am

Here is what I compiled for the results for the Mt Challenge. I hope there are no mistakes, but let me know if you notice something or have questions.

FTD Glen Barnhouse 221.76
PAX Glen Barnhouse 200.47
FM Glen Barnhouse 221.76
CP Rob Davis 245.681
CPL Christine Davis 276.998
EPL Alta Kravik 397.513
XP Dave Venema 251.585
SSM Don Cisney 244.744
ASP Jeff Thill 241.299
CSP James Rose 269.471
ESP Rob Johnson 252.042
STU Brian Franklin 265.481
BS Philip Schrumpf 264.605
CS Kevin Riordan 252.089
CSL Judy Keipers 294.019
DS Mike Moore 267.046
ES Walter Davis 277.488
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1896
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 am

Congrats to Judi Kuipers---I am way more proud of her driving than she is...next you see her, you might ask her about her driving strategies

PS----I got so excited about Judi winning a trophy, I ignored Dave and James in the winners list also...congrats to them as well!!!
Last edited by Mel Kuipers on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel Kuipers

User avatar
findurpath
Underlord
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby findurpath » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

Congratulations to Judi and James!

If anyone else was curious like I was, I've broken up the results by day and raw/pax.

Total Times

Day 1 - Raw

Day 1 - PAX

Day 2 - Raw

Day 2 - PAX
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

User avatar
mdlfCRXs
Lord
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: Butte, MT

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby mdlfCRXs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 am

Congratulations Judi! I always like it when Mel has a reason to sweat. I think the improvements are more than just in the new knee! With you two entering winter events this year I think we are all in trouble.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

User avatar
spazz240sx
noob
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:19 am
Location: bozeman, MT

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby spazz240sx » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Woohoo second place in sm at top gun ain't bad at all... congrats to all it was a really fun weekend

User avatar
DaveMk1
Lord
Posts: 3481
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:05 am
Location: Bozeman
Contact:

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby DaveMk1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks James for compiling the results. I was curious to see them.

At the risk of sounding like a whiner - I struggled a good bit with the car on Saturday. It felt like it was skipping across the surface all the time and never really planted. Combine that with the fact that the tail wanted to come around on every slalom turn-in and it was pretty hard for me to drive it well.

First thing Sunday I made a few large changes to the suspension set up. I softened the front shocks a little, softened the back shocks a lot and set the front swaybar a good bit stiffer. I also lowered the air pressure 3 pounds at each corner. It felt like I needed to do something and didn't want to mess around so I made some rather large changes and broke my rule of only changing one thing at a time. The cool thing is that it worked. I have no doubt that it could be better far still but it was a big step in the right direction......... And I can see it the numbers now that James compiled them.

On Saturday I took 18th overall in raw time and 20th in PAX. And then on Sunday (after all the changes) I took 8th in raw and 6th in PAX and the car felt SOOOO much better. In fact it felt easy to drive and this is a first for me in this car. My previous car got to the point where it was super easy to drive but the Elise had never been that way but it's much closer now.

Anyway - I was happy with how Sunday went and look forward to running again this weekend. I'll bring the Top Gun trophies I have here on my desk to the event if they aren't picked up sooner.

See you soonish.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

User avatar
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB
Posts: 1896
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Livingston Mt

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

just so everyone knows....congrats to the Rose man---beat me both days, and total...a MX-5 chasing a Honda--I never would have thot...guess you never touch the breaks on the big course...I am humbled and bow to your win....at least I am competitive on the small local course... :mrgreen:
Mel Kuipers

User avatar
Alex
Lord
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 am

DaveMk1 wrote:and set the front swaybar a good bit stiffer.


I suspect that this may have been the most significant change. I know the MR2 tends to like a lot of front roll stiffness. The guys who are building all out race cars without sway bars are running 700-800ish lb springs in front and 400-500 in the rear. I am running 500's front and rear, which considering the cars weight distribution is still a bit backwards from what you might expect. I have heard that a similar setup works well on the Elise (and given the layout that they share, I'm not surprised).
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

User avatar
DaveMk1
Lord
Posts: 3481
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:05 am
Location: Bozeman
Contact:

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby DaveMk1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 am

Alex wrote:
DaveMk1 wrote:and set the front swaybar a good bit stiffer.


I suspect that this may have been the most significant change. I know the MR2 tends to like a lot of front roll stiffness. ............................


I agree. I think the added roll stiffness keeps the outside front from diving down and thus keeps the inside rear from unweighting as much and this keeps the as end behind the front end. A good thing. That said I don't think I would have seen the same benefit without softening the shocks. One of my big issue was the skipping feeling i had with the stiffer shocks. Very small elevation changes would really upset the car and once the shocks were softer it felt like it was stuck to the floor.

It will be interesting to see how it feels on a smaller and lower speed course like we will have this weekend.

Will you be there Alex? It's been awhile since we've seen you. Hope you can make it.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

User avatar
findurpath
Underlord
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby findurpath » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Dave, that is quite the improvement between Day 1 and 2. I felt like I ate my words from the last Helena event when I said that I've never felt my car's rear end want to come around like that in reference to Joe's spin out. I felt it big time heading into the sweeper almost every time. Talk about pucker factor.

Sorry for the noobish question but is the general rule to soften the rear shocks and/or lower rear tire pressure to combat oversteer? I'm thinking of experimenting with the dampening on my coilovers as right now they are set as stiff as can be for events and was considering softening up the rear.
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

datsunbill
noob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby datsunbill » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm

Very good event. Thanks Blue, "timers", and those who helped put times on the boards. I was not able to finish due apparently to a clogged fuel filter..the car quit twice..and on Mac Donald pass..thanks AAA/"rollback" home.

Re spring rates and shocks etc. the course was well set and intuitive with the exception of the "pinch" down gate at the bottom of the sweeper as one headed up on to the curve(Sunday). Generally speaking any course should not be obstructive or so designed so that any portion of it is unnaturally upsetting to any vehicle except one that is highly modified with respect to suspension, etc.

The cones at the bottom, going out and up, onto the sweeper would have been better placed across on the outside of the entry to the "sweeper". That would have provided a point of reference and a speed modifier prior to entering the sweeper.

:P Just one person's opinion.....BD

User avatar
rkaiser
Overlord
Posts: 2404
Joined: Mon May 19, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Bozeman
Contact:

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby rkaiser » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 pm

James, what do you usually have your center differential set at? I really didn't like mine set at open (35-65) split so I usually left it in AUTO. The open setting did seem to increase oversteering in the manor with which I was used to driving. The AUTO setting seems to work well for the slow in/ fast out approach with 4wd Suby. Also, with the one side of the sweeper being off camber your exit is gonna feel a bit loose anyway unless you do like I do and slow down too much (at least with RWD).
Russ

1995 Escort Cosworth - a little less of a headache
2013 Subaru STI - RPM Speedwagon

User avatar
Alex
Lord
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby Alex » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 am

DaveMk1 wrote:
Alex wrote:
DaveMk1 wrote:and set the front swaybar a good bit stiffer.


I suspect that this may have been the most significant change. I know the MR2 tends to like a lot of front roll stiffness. ............................


I agree. I think the added roll stiffness keeps the outside front from diving down and thus keeps the inside rear from unweighting as much and this keeps the as end behind the front end. A good thing. That said I don't think I would have seen the same benefit without softening the shocks. One of my big issue was the skipping feeling i had with the stiffer shocks. Very small elevation changes would really upset the car and once the shocks were softer it felt like it was stuck to the floor.

It will be interesting to see how it feels on a smaller and lower speed course like we will have this weekend.

Will you be there Alex? It's been awhile since we've seen you. Hope you can make it.

dave


yep, I will be there this weekend. August turned out to be pretty crazy, two weddings to go to, both of which fell on race weekends unfortunately.
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

User avatar
DaveMk1
Lord
Posts: 3481
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:05 am
Location: Bozeman
Contact:

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby DaveMk1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:56 am

findurpath wrote:Dave, that is quite the improvement between Day 1 and 2. I felt like I ate my words from the last Helena event when I said that I've never felt my car's rear end want to come around like that in reference to Joe's spin out. I felt it big time heading into the sweeper almost every time. Talk about pucker factor.

Sorry for the noobish question but is the general rule to soften the rear shocks and/or lower rear tire pressure to combat oversteer? I'm thinking of experimenting with the dampening on my coilovers as right now they are set as stiff as can be for events and was considering softening up the rear.


I've thought a few times about how to type and answer to your question and it feels like I wouldn't be able to do a good job online - I'd love to talk with you about it at the event though.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

User avatar
mdlfCRXs
Lord
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: Butte, MT

Re: Top Gun / MT Challenge awards.

Postby mdlfCRXs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 am

DaveMk1 wrote:
findurpath wrote:Dave, that is quite the improvement between Day 1 and 2. I felt like I ate my words from the last Helena event when I said that I've never felt my car's rear end want to come around like that in reference to Joe's spin out. I felt it big time heading into the sweeper almost every time. Talk about pucker factor.

Sorry for the noobish question but is the general rule to soften the rear shocks and/or lower rear tire pressure to combat oversteer? I'm thinking of experimenting with the dampening on my coilovers as right now they are set as stiff as can be for events and was considering softening up the rear.


I've thought a few times about how to type and answer to your question and it feels like I wouldn't be able to do a good job online - I'd love to talk with you about it at the event though.

dave



"Talk about pucker factor." That is good. As Mario Andretti would say: :if you aren't scared, you aren't driving fast enough".
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX


Return to “Solo 2011”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest