Official MT Challenge Round 2 Thread

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
JoeE
Drover

Official MT Challenge Round 2 Thread

Postby JoeE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 am

Online registration is open! Click Here

Event Officials:
Event Chair - Kent
SSS - Mel
Backup SSS - Kent/Joe
Chief of waivers -
Chief of Tech -
Chief of workers - James R
Timing - Nick or Kent
Registrar - Joe

Friday evening setup crew: Kent, Joe, Dave, Mel, Andy, Nick
Cone transport: Mel
Timing system transport: Nick J

Some stuff we will need:
Rent Porta-johns - Ordered
Addtional Radios - Purchased and charged
Water and ice - Pick up in Helena
Big Markers - Got it for marking cones?
Power supply for display - Done
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Re: Official MT Challenge Round 2 Thread

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 am

Joe...I am planning on taking the extra cones we need...how many, and do we also need candlesticks?..and what about safety buckets and other Van dwelling equiptment?..will pick it up from the van at Autoworks sometime the week ahead of the event...
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm not sure what's already up there Mel. So, since we aren't sure exactly whats there we're planning on bringing as many cones as we have room for, we should bring our safety buckets, and we'll also need our timing equipment (Nick J won't be around for saturday and won't be able to haul it for us). I don't know how much spare room you'll have Mel. Hopefully we can find people to help haul some of this stuff, and you don't have to bring an extra truck.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Just so everybody knows: We will be doing tech inspections in the morning on both days. So you can come for either Saturday or Sunday, or both days, but Sunday is the day that counts toward the Montana Challenge.

I recommend doing online registration. It's really easy to sign up and get registered, and it will save you time the morning of the event. Thanks go to Joe for getting that going for us.

vetteracer92
noob

Postby vetteracer92 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:03 pm

So far, I plan on coming up from G/F, unless a SHTF happens. I can work timing, or any other position except coffee gofer (I would drink it before it was delivered :mrgreen: )

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Calling the BluToyBoy--I don't have your email, so will use this means to contact you...we are borrowing cones and such from your Missoula Club for our late July event in Helena----how many cones are on site?..are there candlesticks?...safety buckets?..grease board for recording and displaying times?...thanks for your help with this info--it will make a difference for what equiptment I bring from Bozo...and I would rather bring too much, rather then not enough...and ? for Kent---we need a computer and its various parts?...where is it, and how can I get it?...I think we are safer if I do all the parts, rather then a few people...as a solo I am much easier to coordinate...I do want a complete list so I don't forget something and have Mtgeekman yell at me....lol
Mel Kuipers

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Hey I will be attending both days of the event so sign me up for whatever you feel like. Also, as you may have noticed the mustang is a rather large car, so I could transport something as well...safety buckets or some such...preferably not cones.
Nicholas Jones
'07 Mustang GT --- "Deployment Present"

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 am

Mel Kuipers wrote:Kent---we need a computer and its various parts?...where is it, and how can I get it?...I think we are safer if I do all the parts, rather then a few people...as a solo I am much easier to coordinate...I do want a complete list so I don't forget something and have Mtgeekman yell at me....lol

We'll have a computer, cables, etc... For the most part everything is contained in those 4 blue milk crates. I'm just not sure how much room you have. If we have like 3 people bringing up a few things I don't think it'll be too bad as far as knowing where it all is, but I would like to get it all up on Friday and not have to worry about it. If you have the space and want to haul everything up I won't argue.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Nick...if you have room, how about you do the computer and related cords and such...I will take care of the cones and safety buckets...that should cover it...you will have to find out where the computer stuff is---some might be in the van...thanks for helping out (and special thanks for doing timing computer stuff---that is way outside how I am wired---and yes Firth, I am wired)
Mel Kuipers

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Sounds good, maybe I will just grab them after the ice garden event this weekend. I am staying with my aunt up in Helena, so I will just get everything set up friday night. Not a problem on timing, I enjoy it and it suits me...
Nicholas Jones

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Joe:
Put me down for chief of workers since I am in practice for that. Since there will probably (hopefully) be a large turnout, I can also assist with organizing run groups, registration details, tech, etc. if needed.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 am

So I am just making sure (as I am known to be a little dense) can I register online and then just cut you a check the morning of? That would be better for me as it seems my wife has hidden all of my credit cards!
Nicholas Jones

BluToyBoy
Underlord

Postby BluToyBoy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 am

Mel Kuipers wrote:Calling the BluToyBoy--I don't have your email, so will use this means to contact you...we are borrowing cones and such from your Missoula Club for our late July event in Helena----how many cones are on site?..are there candlesticks?...safety buckets?..grease board for recording and displaying times?...thanks for your help with this info--it will make a difference for what equiptment I bring from Bozo...and I would rather bring too much, rather then not enough...and ? for Kent---we need a computer and its various parts?...where is it, and how can I get it?...I think we are safer if I do all the parts, rather then a few people...as a solo I am much easier to coordinate...I do want a complete list so I don't forget something and have Mtgeekman yell at me....lol

Mel - Sorry, just getting going again after Packwood.. Not exactly sure what is in the trailer 'cuz I didn't load it last time. PM me and I'll check with Glen B. who did the packing up last event, also I'll get you emails & phone #'s ...Sorry for the late response. Don

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 am

nickjones07GT wrote:So I am just making sure (as I am known to be a little dense) can I register online and then just cut you a check the morning of? That would be better for me as it seems my wife has hidden all of my credit cards!

Yes, you can skip the online payment when you register and pay at the event, or go back and pay anytime up until registration closes.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:59 am

I only brought up the late fee idea because we were trying to make it easy for everyone. Perhaps it was a bad choice of words, more like an online registration discount. You make life easier for us by registering online and you get a better price. I felt like it was early enough to give the forum readers a chance to see it, and not expensive enough to really make anyone mad. I can see now that I was mistaken and I will concede to the will of the people. The price will now be the same for online or day-of registration.

Sorry for the confusion. Please, still do register online if possible.

Dogeater wrote:Notice of a late fee a week and a half before the event is a little short notice. And what of the people without internet or those who don't visit our site?

rkaiser wrote:It doesn't happen often but I agree with Coby No reason to punish those that cant get signed up on-line.

Mel Kuipers wrote:Since this is our first on line registration this year, and therefore new to drivers, it is a new system likely to have a few hickups, and the only info about a late fee is buried in forum threads...I say were discuss late fees for implementation next year...lets keep our registration playing field level for this year...

nickjones07GT wrote: I am in agreement with Russ and Mel on the late fee issue.

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

BluToyBoy wrote:Mel - Sorry, just getting going again after Packwood.. Not exactly sure what is in the trailer 'cuz I didn't load it last time. PM me and I'll check with Glen B. who did the packing up last event, also I'll get you emails & phone #'s ...Sorry for the late response. Don

Don, Thanks! If Glen would have a rough idea of how many cones are in the trailer, and if the score board is there that would be great info for us.

Mel, let me know when is convenient for you, and I will meet you at Autoworks to load cones.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 am

thanks for the offer Joe, but I can manage it...am thinking next monday--will get them w/ my PU and then later in the week transfer them to the flatbed trailer...I am also going to print a bunch of SWMTSCCA #52 lables to stick on our equiptment...that way both the Missoula club and our club will get back the equiptment we use...btw, is the truck unlocked, or does Tim have a key?
Mel Kuipers

rwheelz
noob

Postby rwheelz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Will the facilities be open on Friday night for camping? Any test-and-tune on Friday?

Is it safe to assume you will be using the road course section for this event?

For what it is worth, I am planning to head up there early and am happy to help out.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Mel Kuipers wrote:thanks for the offer Joe, but I can manage it...am thinking next monday--will get them w/ my PU and then later in the week transfer them to the flatbed trailer...I am also going to print a bunch of SWMTSCCA #52 lables to stick on our equiptment...that way both the Missoula club and our club will get back the equiptment we use...btw, is the truck unlocked, or does Tim have a key?

The van is likely locked, but we can get it unlocked for you when you come up to get the cones.

The plan was to use a marker to mark our cones. With stickers I'd be concerned they won't hold up if they get wet, and may fall off over time, so even if we leave nothing there we may have to put new stickers on everything next time. If you have some really great stickers we can try them, but markers may work just as well.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 pm

rwheelz wrote:Will the facilities be open on Friday night for camping? Any test-and-tune on Friday?

Is it safe to assume you will be using the road course section for this event?

For what it is worth, I am planning to head up there early and am happy to help out.

Yes, the facility will be open on Friday for camping. There will be several of us there laying out the course (you are welcome to give us a hand with that) and a few who will be staying on the site that night. There will not, however, be any test and tune on Friday.

It is not safe to assume anything about the course :P

BluToyBoy
Underlord

Postby BluToyBoy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Mel, Joe : this is easier than 2 pm's .. Glen didn't count but thinks at least 150, probably 200 or more cones in trailer. Boards should still be there from last time "we" used them.. I have the opportunity to work (read: no choice) Saturday so I will be there Sunday morning like any other Montana Challenge tourist:)
Have fun Saturday, hope this helps..

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 am

Thanks Don...now to our course design team--how many cones do you anticipate needing?..since I am SS I will try figure out cones we need for crowd management...
Mel Kuipers

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 am

I should be able to make it out Friday eve to help. What time you guys plan on getting there?

I may have a couple of extra radios, gotta search through some boxes in the garage.
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 am

Mel, I'll PM you with some details about the course. I'll have to get you to sign off on safety for it anyways.

rwheelz
noob

Postby rwheelz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:33 am

Hmmmm do you know when a decision will be made about the course? I have been told that a lot of the Bozeman crew is tired of the road course, but for me that is what makes it worth the trip. I will hold off on my registration for now.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:15 pm

The course we designed is intended to mimic courses used at the SCCA National Championships. It will incorporate both the large and small pads and part of the road course however it will not go out as far as 'the sweeper'. We expected that most cars will be high in second gear or going into 3rd for much of the course. We've also tried to give the course plenty of length without using the full road course. It will be different from what we normally run there, but should be a great deal of fun.

If you feel like it's not worth the trip since the sweeper is not being used then I think you will be missing out and you should definitely reconsider. The pads at the Helena facility are a great autocross resourse that I feel is underused.

BluToyBoy
Underlord

Postby BluToyBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm

EVERY time at Helena is worth it!! Great facility, no matter what portions of the course are used - it has never disappointed me yet. Come play:)

rwheelz
noob

Postby rwheelz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 am

I agree with you guys. I don't know of a better autocross facility anywhere around here, even excluding the road course. We certainly don't have anything like it in Billings. I always try and make it to the Helena events and even try to recruit people from here to come along.

I am happy to hear you are using part of the course. I prefer when the whole course is used simply because all of my prior experience is on road courses, not at autocross. I would much rather attend a track day than an autocross, even if it is not timed, because you get more seat time. When I moved to MT a couple of years ago, I quickly realized that I would be traveling a long way to get to a real course. Autocross has filled the void to some extent, and the Helena events are consistently the best around.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:01 am

rwheelz--thanks for the comments...I have always had a good time in Helena, and events there that don't require the extra things like protest time and car weighing (like divisionals) often give us 8-10 timed runs...more with buck runs...for autocross that is great seat time...the rules state that 3 runs are guaranteed, and in my book, that is way too few for learning and fun
Mel Kuipers

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

findurpath wrote:I should be able to make it out Friday eve to help. What time you guys plan on getting there?

I may have a couple of extra radios, gotta search through some boxes in the garage.

I plan to go up after work, so will probably arrive there 6:00ish? Not sure when others are planning to be there, I'll post a better time when I find out.

I think the club needs a couple new radios anyway, so we need to buy some, but if you find yours bring 'em, can't have too many.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

MyT13B
noob

Postby MyT13B » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:17 pm

rwheelz-

Racing in Helena has always been a delight, even 20 years ago.

Good that Friday is open for early arrivals. Thank you.

Dean
now where is the brake peddle?

DJSRAG

2009 Mazda MX5 CSP

gowgngo
noob

Postby gowgngo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 pm

online registration was a breeze, looking forward to another great two day event :)
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 am

went to pay on line, just to be done with it and have these questions: 1. does it cost the club for me to pay on line, because I can just bring a check...2. is there a way on line I can pay for both Judi and I in the same transaction?..it looks to me like I have to do a separate payment for each of us...thanks, Mel
Mel Kuipers

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Mel Kuipers wrote:1. does it cost the club for me to pay on line, because I can just bring a check...

Motorsportreg.com does take a percentage from the online payments.
2. is there a way on line I can pay for both Judi and I in the same transaction?..it looks to me like I have to do a separate payment for each of us...thanks, Mel

I am guessing they are two registrations, so it is likely two seperate payments as well.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 pm

thanks for the quick response..I will bring a check to the event...I don't want anyone else getting part of my club's money if it is not necessary... :)
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

This is a reminder that we are not planning a lunch break for either day. Everyone has a different tolerance for eating schedules, so you should make sure to bring enough to eat and drink to sustain yourself (and your cheering section) for the duration of each day's event. Have plenty of fluids to keep you hydrated and cool, it will likely be pretty warm this weekend.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Kent...your last post made me think---should be get a few cases of bottled water and a cooler?..if so, we could swing by Costco friday nite...I could bring a cooler or two...
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:24 pm

We will provide water for course workers, but please do not count on this being your only source of water for the day.

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:15 pm

For reference, here is a map showing where we will be parking. There will be porta-johns in the pits.
Attachments
Helena Parking.jpg
Helena Parking.jpg (236.35 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm

I forgot to mention earlier. We will be giving out awards for this event much like we do at our local events. The awards are neat etched pint glasses. We will be giving away awards for FTD (fastest raw time of the day), best PAX overall, and best PAX in each category (stock, street touring, street prep, street mod, prepared, and modified). The awards will be handed out based on your time for Sunday only.

Return to “Solo 2011”