Official MT Challenge Round 2 Thread

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Re: Official MT Challenge Round 2 Thread

Postby Mel Kuipers » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 pm

What is the status of road construction north of Three Forks?...if it is not completed, or we don't know, I plan on going north on 89, then over to Townsend...
Mel Kuipers

gowgngo
noob

Postby gowgngo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:16 pm

also what time are we shooting for Saturday morning? I'm going a couple days early and staying in Missoula so will just head in the AM

thanks
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Mel Kuipers wrote:What is the status of road construction north of Three Forks?...if it is not completed, or we don't know, I plan on going north on 89, then over to Townsend...

Hey Mel,

I checked online here and it says:

US-287 Northwest of Three Forks. Reconstruction work in progress. There is a width restriction of 11 feet. Expect reduced speed to 25 mph, pilot cars, gravel surface, single lane traffic, single lane closures, traffic controlled by signal lights. Grading. Wide loads northbound on US 287 must use the east Three Forks interchange to cross I-90. Wide loads southbound on US 287 must use Milligan Canyon interchange to cross I-90. There will be single lane closures on both I-90 and US 287 for asphalt removal. Culvert installation.
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:57 pm

findurpath wrote:
Mel Kuipers wrote:What is the status of road construction north of Three Forks?...if it is not completed, or we don't know, I plan on going north on 89, then over to Townsend...

Hey Mel,

US-287 Northwest of Three Forks. Reconstruction work in progress. There is a width restriction of 11 feet. Expect reduced speed to 25 mph, pilot cars, gravel surface, single lane traffic, single lane closures, traffic controlled by signal lights. Grading. Wide loads northbound on US 287 must use the east Three Forks interchange to cross I-90. Wide loads southbound on US 287 must use Milligan Canyon interchange to cross I-90. There will be single lane closures on both I-90 and US 287 for asphalt removal. Culvert installation.

I'm going up through Boulder to avoid all that.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 pm

A really nice way to get up there is to head up Bridger Canyon road, which eventually intersects highway 89 N. Then turn west towards townsend shortly before white sulfur springs. I believe this is the route Mel was talking about. It is a beautiful drive and there are two passes with winding road for those of us who like that kind of thing. The great thing is there is little (read "none") traffic and last time I drove it, in mid-July, it had no road construction.
Nicholas Jones
'07 Mustang GT --- "Deployment Present"

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 am

DaveMk1 wrote:
findurpath wrote:

Hey Mel,

I'm going up through Boulder to avoid all that.

dave

That's my plan as well.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 am

thanks for the update...will definately go north on 89..usually there is little to no traffic on that road, but I bet I see a lot of you guys on it...I'll be the slow motorhome you curse as a sunday driver...
Mel Kuipers

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 am

For what it's worth, to help the Bozemanites plan their trip...

According to Google maps the route from Bozeman to Wilsall to Townsend to Helena is 138 miles and takes about 2.5 hours. The route Dave and I are planning on taking goes from Bozeman to Cardwell to Boulder to Helena and is 115 miles and takes almost 2 hours. The 'standard' route going up from Three Forks is just shy of 100 miles and takes 1.75 hours.

Coming from Livingston Mel's route through Wilsall makes a lot more sense. It's barely any longer than going through Three Forks, and about the same as going through Boulder.

*Keeping in mind the construction will make the normal route through Three Forks take longer than is reflected in the Google map.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 am

kjohnson wrote:For what it's worth, to help the Bozemanites plan their trip...

According to Google maps the route from Bozeman to Wilsall to Townsend to Helena is 138 miles and takes about 2.5 hours. The route Dave and I are planning on taking goes from Bozeman to Cardwell to Boulder to Helena and is 115 miles and takes almost 2 hours. The 'standard' route going up from Three Forks is just shy of 100 miles and takes 1.75 hours.

Coming from Livingston Mel's route through Wilsall makes a lot more sense. It's barely any longer than going through Three Forks, and about the same as going through Boulder.

*Keeping in mind the construction will make the normal route through Three Forks take longer than is reflected in the Google map.

When I drove up last time the road just north of Three Forks sucked with a capital S.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 am

Last day to register online!!! Get on it and save yourself some time the morning of the event!

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 am

gowgngo wrote:also what time are we shooting for Saturday morning? I'm going a couple days early and staying in Missoula so will just head in the AM

thanks

Since you are all registered and paid, I would think 8am would give you plenty of time to get teched and walk the course some.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

MrBlue
noob

Postby MrBlue » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Looks like a great HOT weekend for an Autocross race... Tire Factory up here in Great Falls has donated a few cases of water and i will bring them. Is the parking area indicated on the map for everyone or just cars during the race? Can we still park our Motor Homes, tow rigs and trailers in the usual area? There is a few of us from GF that are coming down Friday and will gladly give you all a hand if needed. If you need anything call me before we leave about 4pm on Friday at 406-781-8361.
Blue
Drive it like U stole it.
Enjoy today.... Tommorow may never come!

wiseriver
Underlord

Postby wiseriver » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Will riders be allowed in the car during the race event? Or just during the "fun runs afterwards...? See you all there on Saturday morning.... Looking forward to a good time.
We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak and you'll surely learn something

2000 Mazda Miata
2001 BMW Z3 M Coupe --- the "Clown Shoe"

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:30 pm

MrBlue wrote:Looks like a great HOT weekend for an Autocross race... Tire Factory up here in Great Falls has donated a few cases of water and i will bring them. Is the parking area indicated on the map for everyone or just cars during the race? Can we still park our Motor Homes, tow rigs and trailers in the usual area? There is a few of us from GF that are coming down Friday and will gladly give you all a hand if needed. If you need anything call me before we leave about 4pm on Friday at 406-781-8361.
Blue

We need to try and keep any and all vehicles, trailers, etc. confined to the designated parking area of the road course. If need be we can expand around the sweeper and into the chicane. If the terrain allows it trailers can be pulled off onto the dirt. There should be plenty of room out there for everyone to park. Visitors and non-participants who may not wish to be there the whole day are encouraged to park by the buildings.

wiseriver wrote:Will riders be allowed in the car during the race event? Or just during the "fun runs afterwards...? See you all there on Saturday morning.... Looking forward to a good time.

Yes, riders will be allowed both days

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 am

Mel or anyone: Will you have your 2011 rule book just in case we have a classing question? Thanks.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 am

We may have a rule book on the laptop, I can check that to make sure. Anyone can download it as a pdf for free from SCCA's website though.

I don't know if you have specific questions about classing your car, or if it was more of a general question, but for anyone needing help classing their car...

Even assuming we do have a copy of the rule book on the laptop, its unlikely anyone will have time with the laptop the morning of the event to help with classing questions. If you have looked at the rule book and have questions or need help classing your car you can make a new forum thread and hopefully someone will have time to help you with that before the event.

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 am

For what it's worth, I've got the rule book downloaded as a pdf on my phone if it comes down to it.
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:25 am

I was just thinking it would be handy and easier for us if anyone comes along that hasn't classed their car or has made some modifications and might have a question since this event will attract entrants from a number of places. I expect most everyone will already know their car class, but just in case.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-Thats right
FR-S in STX

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 am

I have the hard copy rule book in hand and will bring it...was planning to be there at 4, but business is so good today, make that 6pm
Mel Kuipers

Return to “Solo 2011”