A good day.

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
DaveMk1
Lord

A good day.

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks all for a really fun day yesterday. Everything worked out in our favor including the weather.

I had even more fun that usual now that I have my suspension better sorted and the rear end of the car seems to be happy to stay behind the front end. It had been so unstable and twitchy that it was hard, and not much fun, to drive. Yesterday it felt pretty darn good.

I hope we get the results up and posted today. It's always fun to see how everyone did. Can we get them up today?

Thanks again everyone for a fun event and for being a cool group of folks to spend the day with.

Dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

findurpath
Underlord

Re: A good day.

Postby findurpath » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 am

I had a great time yesterday and what a beautiful day it was! Felt like I handed out a ton of wristbands yesterday to all the spectators that showed up. I'm also looking forward to seeing the results.

And Dave, I hope I never hear you say again that your car was not much fun to drive... :shock: 8)
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 am

what Dave said...it was also nice to see some new drivers, and it has been fun to watch all the members stepping up to get all the work done during the event...we certainly have a good system going...which is nice practice for our two day event in Helena--Missoula club set the bar high with their well run divisional event this year...and we all like jumping high, so I look forward to that event...which makes me wonder if we need to do anything now to get ready---opinions?
Last edited by Mel Kuipers on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel Kuipers

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:04 am

findurpath wrote:I had a great time yesterday and what a beautiful day it was! Felt like I handed out a ton of wristbands yesterday to all the spectators that showed up. I'm also looking forward to seeing the results.

And Dave, I hope I never hear you say again that your car was not much fun to drive... :shock: 8)

I hear you. Last year the car was lots of fun and then I went and 'improved' it and made it unrewarding to drive. It was fine on the street of course but the stability and balance on course was not. The Divisional event was the first this year where I was able to figure out that the issue was. Any Helena event will teach you more about how your car behaves because the turns are long enough to feel what the balance of the car really is. Our local lots only allow courses that are heavy on transitions and not on steady state cornering. It turns out I had way too much camber in the rear and not quite enough rear toe and this was the first event with the reset alignment. Now it feels like it should and I look forward to learning better how to drive it as it should be driven.

dave
Dave K

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:35 am

Mel Kuipers wrote:what Dave said...it was nice to see some new drivers, and it has been fun to watch all the members stepping up to get all the work done during the event...we certainly have a good system going...which is nice practice for our two day event in Helena--Missoula club set the bad high with their well run divisional event this year...and we all like jumping high, so I look forward to that event...which makes me wonder if we need to do anything now to get ready---opinions?

I think there are two things we need to get nailed down. One is online registration and the other is timing. I know little about either. The registration thing is above my luddite pay-grade. I do wonder what we know about the cause of the timing issues we had yesterday. It wasn't a big problem with so few drivers but we can't have this happen at our challenge event.

Thoughts?

dave
Dave K

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 am

I don't know about getting online registration going in time for Helena...but eating my own cooking, the last two events in Bozo, prior to going to the event I printed off two registration sheets from the web front page, filled them out, and wrote the check for the events...Judi and I just handed the sheets and check to the registrar, signed the waivers and were good to go---very simple and easy for us, and simple for the registrar...of course, we are in the computer so the timing people had it quick and easy...for the Helena event, even with the 60+ drivers I expect, all the old hands will be in the computer...if we can get them to get their forms and checks ready for the event, before they get there it would be a great help...thats my simple solution idea...any others?
Mel Kuipers

findurpath
Underlord

Postby findurpath » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I've seen a lot of SCCA clubs use MotorsportReg.com for online registration:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/public.about
"Can you check if those people are done with their guac?" - Joe Evers

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:08 pm

DaveMk1 wrote: I went and 'improved' it and made it unrewarding to drive.

Trying to improve an allready great SS class car seems like it would be tough, glad to hear that you are making some headway.

I know what you are talking about as I spent 4 years making small changes to my car before I decided to make a huge change in the exact opposite direction I was going for the previous 4 year. It ended up being what the car needed and I wish I had a chance to take it even farther. My car was allways fun to drive but it wasen't until last year that the car was more then just fun, It was rewarding to get in the car and just know that it was a better car then I am a driver, It was rewarding to have the car do exactly what I wanted it to, It was rewarding to know that everytime the car got out of shape it was the driver that screwed up. It was a harder car to drive then previous years(A bit squirrly) but at the same time it just didn't do anything strange so it inspired confidence. I know a better driver could have been very quick in my car.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Yesterday was a blast. I really enjoyed the course layout but had mixed feelings about the results...On one side I felt I was able to handle the course very well, on the other hand I didn't do very well (in relation to everyone else) considering what seemed to be an advantage to me. But the best mod is the driver mod so I will keep plugging at it. It was great to finally interact with a few more members and get to know some people. I will say that this group is great about welcoming new members and non-member racers. Thanks guys for a great day!
Nicholas Jones
'07 Mustang GT --- "Deployment Present"

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Agreed, fun day and a fun course, thanks Dave (and everyone else that makes it happen every time.).

Video of one of my runs (not sure which, maybe my second to last?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJF1TbN8dE4
'91 MR2 V6 - Why do I keep taking this thing apart?!?
'89 MR2 N/A - Needs a little work.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 pm

I see the guys got the results posted - very cool. Who do we thank for this? Whoever it is.........thank you.

Does the software generate a report with everyones fastest times in order regardless of class? I think it might be called "raw times" or something like that. It looks a lot like the pax report that was posted but with raw times instead. I think lots of folks would like to see where they fall in the big raw scheme of things.

If we have that can it be posted in the results area? I see we were doing it last year.

Thanks again.

Time to start working on a different course for that lot............not an easy task IMO.

Dave
Dave K

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:37 pm

nickjones07GT wrote:Yesterday was a blast. I really enjoyed the course layout but had mixed feelings about the results...On one side I felt I was able to handle the course very well, on the other hand I didn't do very well (in relation to everyone else) considering what seemed to be an advantage to me. But the best mod is the driver mod so I will keep plugging at it. It was great to finally interact with a few more members and get to know some people. I will say that this group is great about welcoming new members and non-member racers. Thanks guys for a great day!

I think you are doing a very good job of getting a very big car through an autocross course - not an easy thing. Your car obviously has more than enough power so I think knocking your times down is a matter of carrying more speed through the turns and letting the car flow as much as you can. When you have as much power as you have it can be tempting to use it to squirt from one turn to the next on that huge wave of torque but the lowest times will come from maybe not focusing on the open full throttle sections and instead thinking about being at the limit through each and every turn. If you could gain .1 second in each major turn (this course has about 5 of them not counting transitional/slalom stuff) you'd have 1/2 second right there. And if you start carrying more speed through the slaloms the times will really fall.

I hope I'm not out of line in giving advice that maybe wasn't being asked for.

See you in a few weeks.

Dave
Dave K

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks for the advice Dave, I always appreciate any that I can get, especially from very seasoned drivers. I will try to keep that in the forefront of my mind while running the next course. It does seem like an easy way to lose a half a second. But saying and doing are two very different things. Thanks again for the great course design and I look forward to the next one.
Nicholas Jones

nickjones07GT
noob

Postby nickjones07GT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:20 am

Nice video...you make it look so easy.
Nicholas Jones

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:12 am

DaveMk1 wrote:Time to start working on a different course for that lot............not an easy task IMO.

No, it sure isn't an easy task. I tried to do it and I couldn't come up with anything for that lot. I think the course that we ran was really good especially given what you have to work with. It actually flowed so nice that my wife said she might try if we get another course like that she can understand. Sadly we won't be at the next event there.

Anyway, It'd be fun to change it up but I don't know how. I'll leave that up to you.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:47 am

DaveMk1 wrote:I see the guys got the results posted - very cool. Who do we thank for this? Whoever it is.........thank you.

Does the software generate a report with everyones fastest times in order regardless of class? I think it might be called "raw times" or something like that. It looks a lot like the pax report that was posted but with raw times instead. I think lots of folks would like to see where they fall in the big raw scheme of things.

If we have that can it be posted in the results area? I see we were doing it last year.

Thanks again.

Time to start working on a different course for that lot............not an easy task IMO.

Dave

That was Nick (BMW) that got them posted last night. There is a raw time report that we usually generate, somehow he has just missed it the last couple of events. I mentioned it to him, and I will see if I can get the summary swapped out for the raw report this evening.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 am

Alex wrote:
That was Nick (BMW) that got them posted last night. There is a raw time report that we usually generate, somehow he has just missed it the last couple of events. I mentioned it to him, and I will see if I can get the summary swapped out for the raw report this evening.

Thanks Nick. It's appreciated.

That swap would be cool. Thanks so much.

dave
Dave K

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 am

I would also like to see both the Raw and PAX times listed as per last year...and as long as we are looking at report adjustment--this year when I print the report, the info on the right of the report prints over the results numbers...the over print is the info about recent postings...is there a way to print only the event numbers, and nothing else on the report screen?..that would be cleaner, and show all the numbers...thanks
Mel Kuipers

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:08 am

Also, did anyone else notice these results:

Code: Select all

ST    14    Payne, Will      Subaru    53.041
ST    41    Payne, Robert    Subaru    53.042

Talk about a family feud!

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Postby Mel Kuipers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am

I saw them, and am sure Will is nervous....
Mel Kuipers

NickJ
noob

Postby NickJ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:33 am

Mel Kuipers wrote:I would also like to see both the Raw and PAX times listed as per last year...and as long as we are looking at report adjustment--this year when I print the report, the info on the right of the report prints over the results numbers...the over print is the info about recent postings...is there a way to print only the event numbers, and nothing else on the report screen?..that would be cleaner, and show all the numbers...thanks

I've seen that issue too (only on 'thinner' screens). It should be reasonably easy to fix by not having those modules (recent posts, etc) show up in certain categories (like 'Results'). I'll take a look at that tonight, along with posting the 'raw' times.
'96 M3

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 am

Alex wrote:Also, did anyone else notice these results:

Mel Kuipers wrote:I saw them, and am sure Will is nervous....

Actually, I think they said there was a mix-up with their numbers, I think Robert actually beat Will. You'd have to check with them to be sure.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am

kjohnson wrote:
Alex wrote:Also, did anyone else notice these results:

Mel Kuipers wrote:I saw them, and am sure Will is nervous....

Actually, I think they said there was a mix-up with their numbers, I think Robert actually beat Will. You'd have to check with them to be sure.

I was wondering about that, I know when I was timing the number was 14 and the computer said it was Will, but for some reason I thought it was Robert driving at the time. Makes sense now that I think about it, considering that he was working the grid when I was running so he would have to be running when I was working.

Alex
Lord

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 pm

OK, I have the times re-posted with the raw results. I also removed the event counter and the recent posts from the results pages, so hopefully they will print better for those who want to. Another option may be to copy and paste them into another program such as Word and print from there, that might work assuming the formatting didn't get screwed up.

DaveMk1
Lord

Postby DaveMk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Alex wrote:OK, I have the times re-posted with the raw results. I also removed the event counter and the recent posts from the results pages, so hopefully they will print better for those who want to. Another option may be to copy and paste them into another program such as Word and print from there, that might work assuming the formatting didn't get screwed up.

very cool - it's much more intuitive now.

dave
Dave K

Return to “Solo 2011”