Post Divisionals.

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
DaveMk1
Lord

Post Divisionals.

Postby DaveMk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am

I know I dislike when someone says 'dude - you missed a very good time - you should have been there'. So it's with a bit of hesitation that I say "dude - you missed a very good time - you should have been there."

My hat is off to the guys from Region 38 for running a great event. The course was the best use of the full road course I can remember - it was quick and challenging and fun and never felt dangerous. I got into 3rd gear for a short period but the vast majority of the 90 second run was done up in 2nd gear. One of the real issues in designing a course there that will use the sweeper is carefully controlling the speed into the sweeper. It's very easy to either have the entry speed be too high (not good) or have the course suddenly bring the car from a very high speed to a much lower one right before the sweeper.This second option seems to be the most common and is, IMO, more dangerous than just letting us bomb into the thing. So that is a long way of saying that Glen did a great job gradually lowering the speed as the sweeper grew near. Not an easy task but he nailed it.

The event ran very smoothly and everything was on time. Another task that is not easy but they did a great job.

There was some seriously kick-ass cars and drivers there. So good to see national class drivers do their thing and in some cases see the local guys giving them a hard time.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk the only thing missing was more of 'us'. I did a rough count and think there were 7 guys from our club there and this is counting a few Helena members and some from far away that just sign up with our club - very few Bozeman folks. I know a few of 'us' had other commitments or mechanical issues and couldn't make it and that is completely understandable. What I find a bit sad is that so many that come to our local events haven't come to a divisional (missing a cool type of event) or even ever come to any Helena events. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to pressure those that don't want to come to do so - I'm trying to let those who have never been to a Helena event know that once you do one you'll have a hard time waiting for the next one. It's really fun and I feel that if most understood what they were missing that they'd be there.

I think the next Helena event is our club's stop on the Montana Challenge and it's coming up in a bit over a month I think. I hope those that are on the fence and thinking of going will give it strong consideration and hopefully show up. I'd be extremely surprised if you don't have a great time.

But back to the Divisional for a second. Thanks to the entire Big Sky team for throwing a fun event and making us all feel welcome. Your hard work and time is much appreciated and I look forward to seeing you all again.

dave
Dave K
2014 Westfield Mega S2000
Now on a diet and working on adding just a bit of muscle.

gowgngo
noob

Re: Post Divisionals.

Postby gowgngo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Dave- I have to concur that it was one (if not the) best full course layout that I've run. It was a very nice mix of both technical & speed and was clearly setup with an eye for safety. Thoroughly enjoyed myself (even running the second day entirely in the rain) and like Dave encourage anyone who has not attended a Helena event to do so soon- it's clearly the best venue in our state and one you don't want to miss.

Hats off to Big Sky Region for a very well organized, very well run and very fun event!

Mike
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

BluToyBoy
Underlord

Postby BluToyBoy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:41 pm

"Thanx" from a peon.....We had a blast too, and enjoyed old and new friends... See ya next month:)

mdlfCRXs
Lord

Postby mdlfCRXs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I think the quality of the competition was educational and also caused each of us to up our game. It definitely was a well run quality event. I had a great time and I think many of the "local" talent were right in the running for top scores.
J. Rose
Club Regional Executive-2016
Butte-The Political Power Center
FR-S in STX, the other white one.

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 am

Dave, Even if I had a car the chances of me driving at Helena again are slim to none. I actually had fun at the events I was at last year but it seems like I have the Helena Curse. I can't even get near that town without something bad happening. At the 4 events I have been to in Helena I have had truck/trailer or race car issues at....... lets see if I can figure this out....... All 4 events!!!!!

In the 7 years of owning my truck I have had the check engine light come on 3 times, all 3 times when I was heading out of Helena after an event. I don't believe in Curses but there is something in that town that has a great dislike for me so it is best that I just stay away.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

BluToyBoy
Underlord

Postby BluToyBoy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Ray, just catch a ride with someone else - stop the curse:):)

kjohnson
Lord

Postby kjohnson » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 am

I'm glad to hear it was such a great event. I would have liked to be there. Hopefully many people from our region who don't normally make it to Helena will make the trip for our Montana Challenge event in July.
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

02BMW
noob

Postby 02BMW » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:00 pm

I don't believe in Curses but there is something in that town that has a great dislike for me so it is best that I just stay away.

Geez Ray, if you think Helena is doing that to you, you better not go near Vegas :twisted:

I for one thought that this past weekend was a tremendous event, a very well flowing, safe course with the event run like clockwork. Hopefully next time I will have a functioning clutch.
Thanks Big Sky Region!
Dave V

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his right foot:
03 330xi, 95 M3, 90 325is, 88 325is, 74 2002XP, 48 chev dump truck

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:08 pm

BluToyBoy wrote:Ray, just catch a ride with someone else - stop the curse:):)

Are you offering up a co drive in the beast? Gaurenteed it will break if I am driving it in Helena.

Dave V, since I don't gamble Vegas holds no appeal for me. I did have a lot of fun the few times I have been there though.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

Return to “Solo 2011”