Fire Extinguishers!

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2011 season.
kjohnson
Lord

Fire Extinguishers!

Postby kjohnson » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

We have two 2.5 lb extinguishers, but could use a couple more. I called Fire Suppression Systems to get prices on extinguishers. Here is what I found out:

They lease extinguishers and that includes inspection and making sure they are filled every year. Prices are per year:
10lb units are $19.50
5lb units are $9.75
*they do not lease 2.5lb units

They also can refill extinguishers:
10lbs - $36
5lbs - $20
2.5lbs - $9.75

In addition to occasional refilling costs you need to have extinguishers rebuilt every 6 years and the tank hydro tested every 12 years. The leasing prices sound pretty reasonable to me. But you can buy 5lb extinguishers at stores for around $40-50 bucks and 2.5 lb ones for around $20.

The guy recommended a 10lb extinguisher for refueling areas, but for the most part we don't really see too much refueling at events. Joe and I thought somewhere around three 5lb units would due in addition to the 2.5lb ones we have.

FYI - a 10lb extinguisher actually weighs around 18lbs total and a 5lb extinguisher weighs around 8-9lbs.

What does everyone think? Buy, lease, trade, steal?
'72 Datsun 240Z - With full interior.

Mel Kuipers
Sr. NooB

Re: Fire Extinguishers!

Postby Mel Kuipers » Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 pm

I do the $9.75 a year version...what I most like is it is certified and refilled each and every year...I think that would be good for the club since we really don't have a system for checking on that...I would think we should have 3--one for each safety bucket...it really is just a matter of time til we have a fire in a car...just like seatbelts and helmets--we hope never to use them, but if you need them nothing else will do, and when that happens you don't have time to run to the hardware store..
Mel Kuipers

JoeE
Drover

Re: Fire Extinguishers!

Postby JoeE » Thu May 12, 2011 12:27 pm

$9.75 per year sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially if it includes topping off the charge.

I think we should get three 5 pounders.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

Return to “Solo 2011”