Dirt Drags

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2003 season.
rcurrier44
noob

Dirt Drags

Postby rcurrier44 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:02 am

I don't know if you AWD guys are into this or not - but - the Bozeman Mountaineers will be having a dirt drag race on Sat August the 16th at the Fairgrounds motorsports park. There will be Christmass Tree starting lights, side by side double elimination, lots of classes (4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl etc) dash plaques and a 50% payout.

See the http://www.m4x4a.org/ websight for details.

If nothing else it will be cool to watch.

ROB

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:34 pm

If my Jeep was done I would be there. Rob I will be at the Shop tonight, Hopefully get the Tranny all plumbed in and the shifters hooked up on both the T-case and tranny. Getting closer now I just have the rear suspension and body to finish.
1990 Mazda Miata. Most fun you can have with only 116 HP!!!!!!

rcurrier44
noob

Postby rcurrier44 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:47 pm

RayAR wrote: Getting closer now I just have the rear suspension and body to finish.

Oh thats all, heck your all most done :roll: :wink:

The jeep would be great with that engine, tranny, long WB, and rear suspension you are puting in it. Stiffin the rear and it should be compeditive in any kind of race.

WRX-B
Underlord

Postby WRX-B » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:40 pm

Rob- is this something a slightly lowered subaru could do? Without getting hung up on anything? If so, i would love to give it a go, if i can get out of work. Then, i can show up at the autox the next day with a car covered in mud!!!

I am definately gonna :lol: sign up Ruzzel and his new STi, its gotta get dirty sometime, right?

Rick B
WRX WRB
Never, ever wash yer car.

rcurrier44
noob

Postby rcurrier44 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:06 pm

I was assuming so, I know they will have a skidsteer to level the start line whenever a contestant digs a hole. Persionaly I have never been to one so maybe Ray knows how rutted the track is going to get (he was big into the club when these races were going on).

You shoulden't get to muddy (the mud drags are sunday) just dusty on saturday.

WRX-B
Underlord

Postby WRX-B » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:58 pm

Got it. Dirt, not mud drags on saturday. Me smart, read good. :?

Sounds like a bunch of fun. More tires dedicated to specific activitites!!!

rcurrier44
noob

Postby rcurrier44 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:23 pm

WRX-B wrote: More tires dedicated to specific activitites!!!

Can we say cut paddle tires. :D

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:28 pm

I Haven't been to a dirt drag since before I was a member. I like the trail rides better even though I can't say I have been doing much of that for the past couple years :roll:

Still not sure how I am going to do the springs on the Jeep and the same goes for the body. All I know is my Soft top must fit and the body must be relativly draft free so I can go hassle the snowmobiles this winter. Of course all of you Manual tranny guys think I am going to be spending a lot of time digging my self out, all I can say to that is I will show you. I am hopeing to have the Jeep ready to fire this weekend. Just have a bunch of little annoying jobs that have to be done before that. Both shifters, tranny coolers lines that need to be bent, fluids added, starter installed and I still need to build a tranny crossmember and find a mount that will work. Right now I am debateing whether I should get some coilovers for the rear but I just can't justify spending that much money on the "heep"

rcurrier44
noob

Postby rcurrier44 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:41 am

Coilovers are the way to go. But they are spendy. The best thing about coilovers is the ability to change springs. It is so easy/cheep to swap springs.

Oh and we will see about the auto being better in the snow (I shure know mine wasn't). We can test that at the same time we test Bills new rig :wink:

RayAR
Lord

Postby RayAR » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:46 pm

I really am itching to get the "heep" done. I would like to get some miles with it on dry pavement so I know how it reacts before I go 4 wheeling. I told you all I had was little annoying jobs left. I spent 3 hours on the T-case shifter last night and I am still not done with it.

Yep, Bills beast with 52 inch tall tires. It should me nearly unstuckable considering he hardly ever got stuck even when he was running 35's.

rcurrier44
noob

Postby rcurrier44 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:38 am

WRX-B wrote:Rob- is this something a slightly lowered subaru could do? Without getting hung up on anything? If so, i would love to give it a go, if i can get out of work. Then, i can show up at the autox the next day with a car covered in mud!!!

Rick B
WRX WRB

Talked to Blare H this weekend (senior member/racer) and he said you shoulden't have any trouble with a stock or slightly lowered car.

WRX-B
Underlord

Postby WRX-B » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:26 pm

Cool, good to know. I would have to play hookie from work to go and give this a shot. Would be really fun i think.

later
RB

Return to “Autocross 2003”