? SNELL ?

Southwest Montana SCCA discussions for the 2003 season.
rcurrier44
noob

? SNELL ?

Postby rcurrier44 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:02 am

Ok, I've got a question about the snell aproved helmates. Snell 90 and up helmates are what is currently allowed. When do you think this will jump to snell 95 and make some of us buy new helmates? Was there a standards change in 90 that makes the post 90 helmates more safe? Or is there an experation date on helmates?

This all boils down to:

I have got 2 high quality helmates now that I like but can't use because they don't have a snell 90 or above sticker. If I get a cheep-o snell 90 helmate will it last a couple of seasons or will I have to buy a 95 or newer next year?

RD-SPEED

DOT?

Postby RD-SPEED » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:42 am

Hello guys,

I have quick questions regarding this topic; I hope some of you can fill me in with more information:

Why DOT approved helmet is not "good" enough for AutoX? :P

What is Snell stand for?
Is that something like a Government company (or Private company) above DOT (Department of Transportation)? :?:

Thanks,

JoeE
Drover

Postby JoeE » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:00 pm

If I get a cheep-o snell 90 helmet will it last a couple of seasons or will I have to buy a 95 or newer next year?

If you buy a new cheap Snell rated helmet it should be M2000. I think Snell updates their rating every years and once there is a new spec new helmets are tested to that spec.
Why DOT approved helmet is not "good" enough for AutoX?

For us basically the SCCA requires Snell M or SA rated helmets so for us to have the SCCA sanction (insure) our event, so we need to enforce this requirement.
DOT (Department Of Transportation) rating is a "self declared" rating. This means if I am making helmets I can read the DOT specs and say "yup, my helmet has that" and put the DOT decal on the helmet. Snell is a nonprofit organization that does independent testing of all types of helmets. So the advantage to a Snell rated helmet is that it has been tested to a higher degree than a DOT helmet and that testing has been done by someone other than the manufacturer of the helmet.
When do you think this will jump to snell 95 and make some of us buy new helmates? Was there a standards change in 90 that makes the post 90 helmates more safe? Or is there an experation date on helmates?

I predict that in 2005 the requirement will change to M95. Snell recommends using a helmet for no more than 5 years due to the chemical break down of the materials in the helmet, so it is a little suprising that the SCCA didn't change the spec in 2000. I'm guessing that they figure the risk in SoloII is so low (especially compared to motorcycling) that the older helmets are ok.
Joe
1991 911 grey goober

rcurrier44
noob

Postby rcurrier44 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:34 pm

I see.

Persionaly I think it is a big consperacy put on by the Helmate companies to sell more helmates. It turns helmates into a consumable product even if they are not damaged :wink: Kinda like lightbulb companies who could make a household lightbulb that would last 100 years - but would never because that meens they can't sell you another one the next year. :wink:
(I will spare you the rest of my crazy consperacy rant)

The best is this

"no more than 5 years due to the chemical break down of the materials in the helmet"

I have herd this stated before.
But the enviormentalists say these types of materials will last 5,000 years if dumped in nature (just a #I pulled out of my ___ - could be 500,000 years, but it is a looooong time). I just don't know witch I-want-to-save-the-world-too group to beleave. :wink:

Return to “Autocross 2003”